Personal possessions insurance covers your belongings when you take them out and about or on holiday. It’s often an add-on to standard contents insurance, which is designed to protect your contents at home.

If you regularly go out with your tennis racket, guitar or an expensive watch, you may want to add personal possessions cover to your home insurance. This will give you the best level of cover if your things are lost, stolen or damaged.

This page covers what you need to know about the add-on to our Bronze, Silver and Gold Home Insurance policies. So you can decide whether it’s right for you.

What is personal possessions insurance?

You can add personal possessions insurance to your existing home insurance policy. It offers a higher level of cover for certain valuable items in the event of loss, theft or damage. You’re also covered when you take your items away from home or on holiday.

But what do we mean by personal possessions? These are typically the sorts of items you keep on your person while you are outside your home, especially the items you regularly take out and about with you.

Personal possessions include:

  • Binoculars
  • Camping equipment
  • Cash that belongs to you personally, not to your business
  • Children’s motorcycles
  • Clothing
  • Go-karts
  • Golf buggies
  • Guns
  • Hearing aids
  • Jewellery and watches
  • Musical instruments (portable)
  • Prams and pushchairs
  • Sports equipment
  • Wheelchairs and mobility scooters

  Drones are excluded

Reach us on 0345 608 9001 if you'd prefer to call.

Are personal possessions covered by home insurance?

Our Home Insurance consists of two separate types of insurance: Buildings and Contents Insurance.

Contents Insurance covers your belongings while they’re inside your home. It covers the repair or replacement of stolen items and things damaged by fire, flooding, natural disasters and vandalism. This cover is for things like televisions, carpets, furniture, clothes, cash and the contents of your garden.

Contents Insurance covers the items inside your home and garden under one policy. However, you may want to consider adding personal possessions cover to your policy if:

You regularly take certain items out of the house

Your things are particularly valuable

You’re storing them somewhere that’s not your main residence


Your belongings carry an enormous amount of sentimental value. The thought of these things being stolen or going missing can be terrifying, so it’s reassuring to know personal possessions insurance can cover you.

Get coverage for:

  • Rings
  • Bracelets
  • Necklaces
  • Earrings
  • Other types of jewellery
  • Watches
  • Fashion accessories
  • Medals
  • And more…


Our personal possessions add-on covers your valuables worldwide. So it’s ideal if you’re going on holiday.


Our personal possessions add-on also covers your cash anywhere in the world.

You can typically expect to be covered for:

  • Coins
  • Banknotes
  • Cheques
  • Postal orders
  • Stamps


The exact types of currency and the amount you can expect coverage for will vary, so make sure to check your policy.

Only personal money is covered, not cash lost or stolen from your business.

Are gadgets and electronics covered by personal possessions insurance?

No. Electronic devices are some of the most common items you will expect to take on the move. However, to get cover for these items with a Bronze, Silver or Gold policy you will need our gadget insurance add-on.

Our gadget insurance add-on covers theft, loss and damage of:

  • Laptops
  • Smartphones and mobile phones
  • Tablets
  • Digital cameras and camera lenses
  • Video cameras
  • Sat navs and GPS devices
  • E-readers
  • Headphones and earphones
  • Portable audio equipment/speakers
  • Portable games consoles
  • Smartwatches


Find out more about our gadget insurance add-on

Reach us on 0345 608 9001 if you'd prefer to call.

Travelling and cover away from home

Personal possessions insurance offers additional cover for your much-loved items while you're on the road or staying in other places temporarily.

While some standard contents insurance policies may cover items you have on your person, your coverage may have certain limits. For instance, it might not cover you if you are abroad for longer than two weeks, or if the item you want to insure is not usually kept at your home.

But, with our personal possessions add-on to your Bronze, Silver and Gold Home Insurance, you can enjoy peace of mind knowing your items will be covered while they're within arm's reach or locked away, out of sight. 

Better still, if you’re living away from home for a while, our personal possessions insurance may be able to replace lost, stolen or damaged items that you urgently need such as a hearing aid or child’s pushchair.

Personal possessions could prove useful for the following:

Holiday travel

While travelling abroad, there may be a limit to the amount you can claim on your travel insurance policy or on the types of items that are covered.

If you are taking valuable items abroad, you may want to make sure you have more comprehensive cover. Personal possessions insurance could be a good idea – particularly for jewellery and camping equipment.

As well as taking out a suitable policy, make sure you are taking steps to stay safe abroad. Don’t walk alone while carrying valuable items and make sure you secure your items in your hotel safe when you’re not using them.

Taking items to work

Personal possessions insurance can also cover your items if you take them to work.

While it won’t cover items you specifically use for work, it will cover items you have on you such as jewellery, cash and music or sports equipment. This includes personal items you leave at work, such as things you store in a locker.

If you work from home and use personal items for work-related purposes, you may want to speak to your employer about getting your items covered by your company’s insurance.

Students on the move

If you are a student at university living away from home, we offer a Student Cover add-on for our Bronze, Silver and Gold policies. This insures the contents in your student accommodation. 

However, you may benefit from our additional personal possessions add-on, if you:

Expect to move around a lot

Want to move freely between home and another location, such as university.

Leaving items in cars

Most fully comprehensive car insurance policies cover items inside the car against theft, loss or damage.

However, there could be instances in which your car insurance does not cover you:

Your car insurance policy’s upper limits may not be high enough to cover your more valuable personal belongings

Non-comprehensive (third-party and third-party/fire/theft) policies usually don’t include this level of cover


Therefore, you may want to take out our personal possessions add-on with your Bronze, Silver or Gold Home Insurance.

This could be especially useful if you regularly carry expensive equipment in your vehicle, although we can’t cover you for anything work-related that’s lost or damaged.

As well as choosing the right level of cover, make sure you follow the below general best-practice guidelines:


Keeping your items safe in the car

  • 1. Avoid leaving valuable items in your vehicle for long periods – take them indoors with you overnight if possible.

  • 2. Lock valuable items away in either the glove compartment or the boot so that potential thieves can’t spot them through the glass.

  • 3. If you leave something valuable in your boot, make sure to put the parcel shelf in.

  • 4. If you leave something on your back seat, use a window screen to obscure the view.

  • 5. Lock your vehicle, turn on the alarm and secure the keys somewhere safe in your home.

  • 6. If you have a wireless key, store it as far away from the vehicle as possible to stop thieves using range extenders to mimic the key.

Learn more about our Car Insurance


As with standard contents insurance, you will need to add up the value of the items you wish to include as part of the personal possessions cover in your policy.

Working out each item’s value is the first step to deciding the sum you wish to insure it for. So, for example, if you regularly leave home with a pushchair worth £500, a ring worth £1,000 and a jacket worth £300, you should look for a policy in the region of £2,000.

You may find it helpful to ask yourself questions such as:

  • How much would it cost to replace or repair this item?
  • If the item could not be replaced, what would its value be?

This insurance is designed for items you regularly take away from home. You should usually be able to rely on your contents insurance for any items that tend to stay at home.

This is usually decided at your insurer’s discretion. If you have incredibly valuable items, you may need Specialist Insurance.

For everything else, you can work out the value of the insurance you need to take out. It is worth remembering that the more valuable your possessions, the higher your insurance premiums will be.

Yes – if and when you make a claim. This is why you must carefully consider the right policy for you.

While choosing a higher excess will lower your premiums, if the value of the item you are claiming for is not much more than your excess, you may not receive much from your insurance.

Think about the value of your things compared to your excess and whether your insurance will provide the level of coverage you need.

Yes, with our Bronze, Silver and Gold policies.

The longer you go without claiming, the lower your premiums could become. It’s important to remember that any claims you make may affect your no-claims discount.


You should be eligible for our personal possessions cover if you:

From there, it’s up to you which items you add to your policy and how much you choose to insure them for.

If you do not have a John Lewis Home Insurance policy, you can take out a Bronze, Silver or Gold policy and add personal possessions cover to this.

If you are a Specialist Home Insurance customer with John Lewis, your contents are covered anywhere in the world as standard.


If you are looking to cover contents in storage as part of your home insurance, you will need our Specialist Insurance.

Not yet covered by John Lewis?

Insure your home and valuables today by calling us on 0345 608 9011 or getting a quote online.

For a higher level of cover, we also offer Specialist Home Insurance for unique homes and high-value contents.

Choose other optional add-ons

With our Bronze, Silver or Gold Home Insurance policies, you can change your add-ons to suit your new circumstances at any time, without admin fees or hidden charges.


Legal expenses cover

Get access to a legal helpline, plus up to £100,000 of cover to help with legal issues, like boundary disputes.


Bicycle cover

Add up to £15,000 of cover for your bikes while at home or out and about (up to a maximum of £5,000 per bike). We cover against loss, damage or theft.

Read more

Accidental damage - buildings

Extend your Buildings Cover to protect against accidental damage to your home's construction, including drains and pipes.


Home emergency cover

In the event of a home emergency, we'll arrange for a tradesperson to make things safe with a temporary repair.

Read more

Personal cyber cover

Get help with computer problems like restoring your home systems or removing viruses. We'll also help you if you fall victim to online fraud.


Gadget cover

Expensive to buy, easy to drop. Add an additional £10,000 of cover for your gadgets (max £2,500 per item). Add items worth more than £200 specifically to your policy.

Read more

Accidental damage - contents

Whether it's red wine on a white carpet or a broken glass coffee table, you're covered.


Student cover

Up to £5,000 of contents cover for your family while they're studying and living away from your home.

Read more

John Lewis Finance, John Lewis Home Insurance and John Lewis & Partners are all trading names of John Lewis plc. Registered office: 1 Drummond Gate, Pimlico, London SW1V 2QQ. Registered in England and Wales (Registered Company Number 233462). John Lewis plc is an appointed representative of Munich Re Digital Partners Limited, a company authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority to carry on insurance distribution activities.

John Lewis Finance, John Lewis Insurance and John Lewis & Partners are all trading names of John Lewis plc. Registered office: 1 Drummond Gate, Pimlico, London SW1V 2QQ. Registered in England and Wales (Registered Company Number 233462). John Lewis plc is an appointed representative (Financial Conduct Authority no. 416011) of Covea Insurance plc which is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (registration no. 202277). John Lewis Specialist Home Insurance is underwritten by Covea Insurance plc. Registered Office: A&B Mills, Dean Clough, Halifax, HX3 5AX. Registered in England and Wales (registration no. 613259).

Copyright © John Lewis Partnership
Back to top