We accept customers from the age of 17 up to the age of 85 with a provisional or full UK driving licence.
Third party insurance only covers you against having to pay if you injure someone or damage their vehicle or other property, but won't pay to repair damage to your car. Third party, fire and theft cover will also pay to repair or replace your own car if it is stolen, or damaged or destroyed by fire.
The most commonly purchased option is comprehensive cover. This cover pays to repair damage to your car, including windscreens, in addition to all of the cover described above.
All new Car Insurance policies from John Lewis Finance provide comprehensive cover.
If you're involved in an accident, don't admit liability until you've spoken to us. See our Contact us page.
You're legally required to:
- Give your name, address and insurance details to anyone who has a good reason to ask for them – namely the other driver.
- Report the incident to the police within 24 hours if you or anyone else is injured.
You should also collect the following information:
- Full details of the other driver(s).
- Registration numbers of all vehicles involved in the accident.
- Where, when and how the accident happened.
- Injuries or damage caused.
- Names and contact details of witnesses.
- Police officers’ details and report references.
- Photographs of the scene or any damage, if possible.
- CCTV or dashcam footage.
Please have the following information available when you phone:
- Your name and insurance document number
- The phone number (including the area code) you are calling from
- The location of the broken down vehicle, including road numbers or names and landmarks
- The registration number, make, model and colour
Please stay with your vehicle until a rescue vehicle arrives.
Please note that you are responsible for the cost of any parts fitted.
No Claims Discount Protection means that you can make up to two fault claims in three continuous years of insurance and your No Claims Discount won't be affected.
You need a minimum of four years before you can protect your No Claims Discount. If you already have two claims in three years then you cannot protect it.
Most insurers give discounts for no claims, the level of discount depends on the number of claim-free years.
For further information or to add any of these features to your Car Insurance policy, please contact us.
No Claims Bonus Protection does not protect the overall price of your insurance policy. The price of your insurance policy may increase following an accident even if you were not at fault.
If you need to make a claim, you'll usually have to pay the excess. Please check your Policy Schedule for your excess amount.
From 31 May 2021, the process for making low-value personal injury claims after a road traffic accident in England and Wales is changing. This covers most whiplash cases.
Under the new regulations, if you want to make a personal injury claim for damages less than £5,000, you’ll have to go through a new online legal process or get a solicitor to help you. Just note that you won’t be able to claim back any legal fees as part of any settlement.
How can I be prepared for legal action after a road traffic accident?
You can add Motor Legal Protection to your policy to make sure you get the support you need in case of a personal injury claim. With Motor Legal Protection, you’ll get:
- Legal advice and support
- Arrangement of medical reports
- 100% of any damages awarded
- Physiotherapy arranged by us if you need it
- Help entering your claim online if it’s for less than £5,000
Find out more about our Motor Legal Protection benefits.
For further information or to add this feature to your Car Insurance policy, please call us on 0330 024 0612.
John Lewis Finance, John Lewis Insurance and John Lewis & Partners are trading names of John Lewis plc. John Lewis plc is an appointed representative (registration no. 416011) of Covea Insurance plc which is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (registration no. 202277). John Lewis Car Insurance is underwritten by Covea Insurance plc.
Registered Office: A&B Mills, Dean Clough, Halifax, HX3 5AX. Registered in England and Wales (registration no. 613259).