Home Insurance from
John Lewis Finance

Covers the cost of repairing or rebuilding your home, or replacing the things in it if they're damaged, lost or stolen.

If you’re making a Home Insurance claim
find everything you need to know in our guide to the claims process.

Step 1: Make a claim

Make a Home Insurance claim

Call us on
0330 102 2749
(open 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm Saturday)

Make a Specialist Home Insurance claim

Call us on
0800 916 6890
(open 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday)

Step 2: Details of your claim

The claims handler will ask for details of your claim and explain any policy excess that may apply. The more details you can provide during the first call, the quicker the claims process will be.

Please always have your policy details at hand and try to give a full explanation of how the accident or incident occurred. We don’t always need receipts for your contents but for valuable or unique items, receipts may speed up the process of settling the claim.

Step 3: Putting things right

Contents claim
If you’re claiming for accidental damage to your contents, the claims handler will decide whether it's possible to repair the item(s). The claims handler may also allocate a supplier to inspect the item(s) to help with this decision.

If the item can't be repaired the claims handler will value your replacement on a like for like, new for old basis. We may make a reduction for wear tear or betterment, if the sum insured is not sufficient. (We don’t cover wear and tear to underground services).  A supplier may also be allocated to value and replace the item.

The supplier will give you the option of a replacement or a cash settlement. They might also ask for receipts and photos of the damaged item. If we do pay cash the amount we pay will reflect any discounts we may have received had we replaced the property.

Buildings claim
If you’re claiming for damage to your buildings, the claims handler may send a surveyor to your home to value the work that needs to be done. The appointed surveyor will validate the damage and if the claim is covered a cash settlement will be offered that you can use to pay for the repairs. With Specialist Home Insurance, we'll discuss settlement options with you and your preference. If you’d like the work to be completed for you, then a tradesperson will be contacted to carry out the work. 

If you’re claiming for a large loss such as a flood, escape of water (for example a burst pipe), fire or subsidence, the claims handler may send a loss adjuster to your home to survey the damage caused.

The loss adjuster will then contact the correct tradesperson and suppliers to repair the damage and manage the process for you. They’ll offer a cash settlement if you prefer.

Step 4: Settling your claim

If you take a cash settlement, this will be paid directly into your account when the amount has been agreed, and this is when your claim will be closed.

If your items are being replaced, the claim will be closed once you have received them.

If a loss adjuster has been appointed, your claim will be closed once you accept a cash settlement paid directly into your account, or all works are complete and replacement items have been provided.

If any excess is due to be applied this will be deducted from the settlement amount.

Home Emergency
If you need to make a Home Emergency claim, please contact us on the relevant number stated below, depending on which policy you have:

If you have Home Insurance from John Lewis Finance - call us on 0330 102 2750

Or, if you have Specialist Home Insurance from John Lewis Finance - call us on 0330 134 8166

Our trained advisors will provide immediate advice on how to minimise the impact of the emergency. They can also organise a qualified tradesperson to visit your home.

Your policy will provide full details of the cover that is available, but they can usually assist with the following:

Burst internal pipes or leaking radiators

Blocked drains or sewage pipes, if they are causing internal damage to the property

Leaking roofs

Failure of the primary heating system

Broken or damaged windows that mean the property is not secure

Vermin inside the property (rats, mice, squirrels or wasps)

The cost of the tradesperson's call-out and labour charges, parts and materials will all be covered up to the limit stated in your policy.

John Lewis Finance and John Lewis Insurance is a trading name of John Lewis plc. Registered office: 171 Victoria Street, London SW1E 5NN. Registered in England (Registered Company Number 233462). Calls may be recorded and monitored.

John Lewis plc is an appointed representative (Financial Conduct Authority number 416011) of Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc. John Lewis Home Insurance is underwritten by Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc (No. 93792). Registered in England and Wales at St. Mark's Court, Chart Way, Horsham, West Sussex, RH12 1XL. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (Financial Services Register No. 202323).

John Lewis Insurance is a trading name of John Lewis plc. John Lewis plc is an appointed representative (Financial Services Register No. 416011) of Covea Insurance plc. John Lewis Specialist Home Insurance is underwritten by Covea Insurance plc. Registered in England and Wales No. 613259. Registered office Norman Place, Reading, RG1 8DA. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (Financial Services Register No. 202277).

Copyright © John Lewis Partnership
Back to top