When your young adult heads off to university, you can help support them with our student insurance add-on.

Student insurance gives you peace of mind while they’re away studying anywhere in the UK. It’s available as an add-on for Bronze, Silver or Gold policies with John Lewis Home Insurance and is specifically designed with students in mind.


  • Up to £5,000 contents cover for any one claim
  • Bikes covered anywhere in the world up to £500 per bike
  • Unauthorised transactions charges covered  up to £50 for each transaction
  • Add cover at any time  so if your circumstances change halfway through the policy, it’s no problem
  • No admin fees  – it’s completely free to make changes at any time
  • Fair, transparent pricing –you only pay for what you specifically need, with no hidden extras in the final price
  • No unnecessary renewal hikes because we really do value your loyalty

What is student insurance?

Student insurance is essentially tailored contents insurance that covers typical student belongings such as printers, textbooks, CDs and bikes. It’s available for students living in university halls or rented student accommodation managed by a landlord or letting agent.

Usually we recommend getting student insurance organised before the beginning of term, but things have been rather unusual in higher education lately. Because our student insurance add-on is flexible, you can add it at any time during the year and make unlimited changes for no additional cost. In short, it’s ideal for today’s students given their shifting term dates and the rise of hybrid learning. 

How do you find the right student home contents insurance?

Student contents insurance is there to protect against loss or accidental damage to your young adult’s things while they’re temporarily living and studying away from home. But do all students need contents insurance for their shared house or flat while at university?

It’s always a good idea to consider the following:

For students living in halls of residence, insurance may well be included in the cost, so it’s worth checking that upfront. If not, it’s simple to add it to your Bronze, Silver and Gold policy from John Lewis Home Insurance at any time.

When choosing student insurance, consider whether your young adult has any belongings in their shared house that may need individual cover. We can tailor our cover if you tell us about any unique or expensive item they plan to take with them to uni.

What’s covered in student insurance?

Most of the items that a student is likley to have with them is covered with our Bronze, Silver or Gold Home Insurance student add-on. At a glance, we cover your young adult for loss or damage to items including:

  • Textbooks
  • Printers
  • TVs
  • Pedal bikes (worth up to £500)
  • DVDs, CDs and records
  • Clothes and shoes
  • Jewellery
  • Sports equipment (up to £500)
  • Digital downloads (up to £1,500)


If there’s a break-in, we also cover cash and credit cards. Simply make sure the theft is reported to the police as soon as possible and within 24 hours.

If your young adult owns something unusual that would be difficult or expensive to repair or replace, give us a call to discuss individual item cover.

All the relevant limits are in your policy documents.

What’s already covered in a Contents Insurance policy?

Our standard Bronze, Silver or Gold Contents insurance includes cover for contents against escape of water, theft, vandalism, and damage caused by fire, storms or falling trees - so long as your contents are in your home.

If your student leaves their contents in your home, they will be covered by our standard Contents Insurance.

However, in order for your student's contents to be covered while temporarily away from home and in student accommodation, you would need our student cover.

What's not covered in Student Insurance?

As with all types of home contents insurance, you’re not covered if the loss or damage happens while the student accommodation is unoccupied for longer than 60 days. So it's a good idea to make sure your student brings all their important belongings home with them for the holidays.

A full list of exclusions can be found in our policy documents.

Are you a student?

As a student, you are sadly at risk from theft. According to Staffordshire University Student’s Union, students living in private accommodation are more at risk of burglary than students in halls, and the typical cost of a burglary is around £800.

If you’re a student living in halls or private accommodation we can arrange home insurance cover with our student insurance add-on to our Bronze, Silver or Gold policies.

If you're living in halls, check whether insurance is part of your package, and - if so - what it covers.

Find out more about John Lewis Home Insurance.


Laptops and smartphones aren't covered.

We do cover your student's:

  • Entertainment equipment including TV
  • Installed software
  • Digital downloads
  • Film downloads

Yes, they are. We ask that they leave their room securely locked, including the windows, and we’re happy to advise on the locks we recommend you use.

Students are also covered for anything that’s damaged or stolen while on their person and kept within their arms-length reach.

Yes, we can cover your young adult wherever they are away from your home and studying in the UK. This includes halls of residence.

With some halls of residence, insurance is included as part of the fee, so remember to check this and ask about the levels of cover.

Yes, we cover one pedal bike per student up to £500 and bicycle accessories. The bike is covered anywhere in the world, while the bike's owner is studying at university, college or school in the British Isles.

To be covered it needs to be securely locked up whenever it’s not being used, both at home or when out and about. There’s handy info on which bike locks we recommend in your policy documents.

If your young adult’s bike is worth more than £500 they may want to consider our bicycle insurance add-on.


Yes, this add-on for our Bronze, Silver or Gold policy covers theft or attempted theft using force or violence. We hope this never happens to your student, but if it does please ask them to report it to the police within 24 hours.

Yes, we cover student sports equipment up to £500, which is good news for young athletes.

Yes, budding musicians are covered for loss or damage to their instruments. We also cover the cost of instrument hire while your student is waiting for theirs to be repaired or replaced.

We don’t currently offer any NUS discounts, but we think you’ll be happy with our fair and flexible pricing for our Bronze, Silver or Gold Home Insurance policies.

If you're living in your parents’ home you should be covered on their home insurance, but check all your gadgets are included and – if not - you might be interested in our gadget cover add-on.

Need something unique?

This student insurance add-on is optional with our Bronze, Silver or Gold policies.

We also offer Specialist Home Insurance for unique homes and high-value contents, which includes student cover as standard with contents insurance.

Not yet covered by John Lewis?

Insure your home and valuables today by calling us on 0345 608 9011 or getting a quote online.

For a higher level of cover, we also offer Specialist Home Insurance for unique homes and high-value contents.

Choose other optional add-ons

With our Bronze, Silver or Gold Home Insurance policies, you can change your add-ons to suit your new circumstances at any time, without admin fees or hidden charges.


Legal expenses cover

Get access to a legal helpline, plus up to £100,000 of cover to help with legal issues, like boundary disputes.


Bicycle cover

Add up to £15,000 of cover for your bikes while at home or out and about (up to a maximum of £5,000 per bike). We cover against loss, damage or theft.

Read more

Accidental damage - buildings

Extend your Buildings Cover to protect against accidental damage to your home's construction, including drains and pipes.


Home emergency cover

In the event of a home emergency, we'll arrange for a tradesperson to make things safe with a temporary repair.

Read more

Gadget cover

Expensive to buy, easy to drop. Add an additional £10,000 of cover for your gadgets (max £2,500 per item). Add items worth more than £200 specifically to your policy.


Personal possessions

Cover for your possessions when you take them away from home or on holiday, anywhere in the world.

Read more

Personal cyber cover

Get help with computer problems like restoring your home systems or removing viruses. We'll also help you if you fall victim to online fraud.


Accidental damage - contents

Whether it's red wine on a white carpet or a broken glass coffee table, you're covered.

Read more

John Lewis Finance, John Lewis Home Insurance and John Lewis & Partners are all trading names of John Lewis plc. Registered office: 171 Victoria Street, London SW1E 5NN. Registered in England and Wales (Registered Company Number 233462). John Lewis plc is an appointed representative of Munich Re Digital Partners Limited, a company authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority to carry on insurance distribution activities.

John Lewis Finance, John Lewis Insurance and John Lewis & Partners are all trading names of John Lewis plc. Registered office: 171 Victoria Street, London SW1E 5NN. Registered in England and Wales (Registered Company Number 233462). John Lewis plc is an appointed representative (Financial Conduct Authority no. 416011) of Covea Insurance plc which is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (registration no. 202277). John Lewis Specialist Home Insurance is underwritten by Covea Insurance plc. Registered Office: A&B Mills, Dean Clough, Halifax, HX3 5AX. Registered in England and Wales (registration no. 613259).

Copyright © John Lewis Partnership
Back to top