Why choose Home Emergency Insurance
from John Lewis?

Peace of mind, when it matters most

It’s the middle of the night and you wake to the sound of water dripping in the kitchen. You go downstairs to find out you've got a burst pipe and need some help straight away.

If there’s an emergency in your home, you might need help straight away. The last thing you'll want to worry about is trying to find a tradesperson you can trust to come and fix the problem. If you have Home Emergency Cover with a John Lewis Home Insurance policy, all you need to do is call our 24-hour Home Emergency helpline and we’ll arrange for one of our specially selected tradespeople to come out to you.

During very busy times, like after a winter storm, it might take us a little longer, but we’ll always provide help as quickly as possible.

What’s more, we’ll pay the cost of the repair, parts and call out charges for the emergency work, up to the value of £1,500.

Home Emergency Cover can be added to your Bronze, Silver or Bronze policy as an optional add-on. For Specialist Home Insurance this comes as standard.

What does it cover?

Home Emergency Cover deals with situations that, if not dealt with immediately, will make your home unsafe or insecure, cause damage to your home or its contents or result in your home losing its main source of heating, lighting or water.

Typical examples of home emergencies are:

Heating failure if the primary source of heat for your home, for example your boiler, breaks down. 

Burst internal pipes or leaking radiators, if they're causing damage to your property.

Electricity supply failure should your whole supply fail within the property.

Blocked drains or sewage pipes belonging to your home, if they are causing damage to the property

Broken or damaged windows that mean the property isn’t secure

Rats, mice, squirrels or wasps' nests inside the property.


Home Emergency Cover does not include everything which you may regard as an emergency. It does not cover normal day-to-day household maintenance or repairs that need to be carried out periodically, such as descaling water pipes or dealing with leaking taps.

We will not be able to cover boilers beyond economical repair or boilers with an output of 60kW or more.

For our Specialist cover, your boiler will also need to be under 15 years old.

For more information on covering your boiler, visit our boiler insurance page.

What's included?

The reassurance that comes with access to our 24-hour emergency helpline, giving you the peace of mind there’s always someone on the other end of the phone.

Access to expert advice, as well as help with the cost of home emergency assistance.

Our approved tradespeople, including locksmiths, plumbers, carpenters, on hand to help you get back to normal after an emergency.

How we pick our tradespeople

Our team of tradespeople are on hand to carry out urgent work 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

They're specially selected by our provider, to offer you the best possible assistance. All of our selected tradespeople have the correct qualifications, including Gas Safe for all heating engineers. We also check recommendations from previous customers so you can rely on a trustworthy service.

Bronze, Silver and Gold Home Insurance: a special team of auditors are on hand to monitor contractors in the first months they are in the network.

Specialist Home Insurance: the networks are procured following a rigorous tender process. Performance is continuously monitored, including compliance with service level agreements, and annual audits. The VIP claims process includes proactive calls to customers and networks so as to drive claims to a swift and satisfactory conclusion.

If you find yourself in an emergency at home it’s important that you contact us first. We can assess what’s happened and get the right tradesperson out to help you.

Contact Home Emergency Assistance

Not yet covered by John Lewis?

Get a quote online to insure your home today.

You can also call us for a quote on 0345 608 9001.

For Specialist Home Insurance call 0800 916 6880 to speak to an expert underwriter.



Choose other optional add-ons

With our Bronze, Silver or Gold Home Insurance policies, you can change your add-ons to suit your new circumstances at any time, without admin fees or hidden charges.



Get help with computer problems like restoring your home systems or removing viruses. We'll also help you if you fall victim to online fraud.

Learn more



Add up to £15,000 of cover for your bikes while at home or out and about (up to a maximum of £5,000 per bike). We cover against loss, damage or theft.

Learn more



Choose either or both add-ons to protect against accidental damage to your home or your contents respectively.

Learn more



Expensive to buy, easy to drop. Add an additional £10,000 of cover for your gadgets (max £2,500 per item). Add items worth more than £200 specifically to your policy.

Learn more



Up to £5,000 of contents cover for your family while they're studying and living away from your home.

Learn more



Get access to a legal helpline, plus up to £100,000 of cover to help with legal issues, like boundary disputes.

Learn more

John Lewis Finance, John Lewis Home Insurance and John Lewis & Partners are all trading names of John Lewis plc. Registered office: 171 Victoria Street, London SW1E 5NN. Registered in England and Wales (Registered Company Number 233462). John Lewis plc is an appointed representative of Munich Re Digital Partners Limited, a company authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority to carry on insurance distribution activities.

John Lewis Finance, John Lewis Insurance and John Lewis & Partners are all trading names of John Lewis plc. Registered office: 171 Victoria Street, London SW1E 5NN. Registered in England and Wales (Registered Company Number 233462). John Lewis plc is an appointed representative (Financial Conduct Authority no. 416011) of Covea Insurance plc which is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (registration no. 202277). John Lewis Specialist Home Insurance is underwritten by Covea Insurance plc. Registered Office: Norman Place, Reading, Berkshire RG1 8DA. Registered in England and Wales (registration no. 613259).

Copyright © John Lewis Partnership
Back to top