What does jewellery and watch insurance cover?

Jewellery and watch insurance typically covers:

  • Theft
  • Accidental loss
  • Accidental damage
  • Loss of diamonds and stones
  • Away from home cover


Our John Lewis Bronze, Silver and Gold Home Insurance policies protect unspecified jewellery items and watches valued up to £3,000. Accidental damage is only covered by these policies with an optional add-on but is included as standard with our Specialist Home Insurance.

Cover levels

  Bronze Silver Gold Specialist
Contents £50,000 £100,000 Unlimited* Bespoke
Replacement cost of total valuables £10,000 £20,000 £40,000 Bespoke
Valuables single article limit (unspecified items) £3,000 £3,000 £3,000 Bespoke
Valuables single article limit (specified items) £10,000 £20,000 £20,000 Bespoke


*Policy limits apply, including single item and total valuables limits.

Do I need to add my jewellery to my home insurance policy?

Your jewellery is protected against theft and loss by John Lewis Contents Insurance as standard. Items containing precious metals are also covered if they are damaged in a fire or flood. However, your policy will have limits on unspecified valuables. So if you have any items worth more than the single article limits for unspecified items mentioned in the table above, you'll need to specify these in your policy.

How to get jewellery valued for insurance

The National Association of Jewellers recommends contacting three valuers to compare their services. Their website can help you find a local and trustworthy Institute Registered Valuer IRV. They may ask you about previous valuations, any gemstone and diamond certificates and ask to see original receipts.

Their final report will include: 

 Photos of your jewellery

 A detailed written description

 A covering letter 

 The purpose of the valuation 

Watch appraisal for insurance

Watch valuers will typically check four key things:

1.  Watch model - Workmanship, materials and aesthetics all play a part during the valuation.

2.  Condition of watch - The better the condition of your watch, the greater its value.

3.  Rarity - When demand outweighs supply, the value of your watch rises.

4.  Authenticity - Proof of purchase, authenticity documents and original packaging. These will give your valuer the information they need to confirm your watch is genuine.

Insuring your engagement ring

If you get engaged, you might need to declare your engagement ring to your insurance provider to make sure it's covered. 

Our Bronze, Silver and Gold level Contents Insurance covers unspecified individual items valued up to £3,000. For engagement rings that cost £5,000 or more we’ll ask for a valuation or original purchase receipt. 

Depending on the value of your engagement ring, you may need to upgrade your total home contents cover level. This means the other items in your home stay safely insured.

Our Specialist Home Insurance policy covers newly acquired jewellery up to 20% of the total sum insured for contents. For example, if your policy covered £200,000 worth of contents, we would be able to cover a new ring worth up to £40,000.

High value jewellery insurance

Our Gold level cover may be perfectly suitable for insuring your high value jewellery. It covers unspecified items costing up to £3,000 each and up to £40,000 in total.

For unspecified jewellery items worth up to £10,000 each you could consider our Specialist Home Insurance. We can also cover items for higher than that, provided they're specified. We usually ask you for professional valuations. 


Find out more about our Specialist Home Insurance

Protecting jewellery outside your home

Some policies might set limits on how long your jewellery can be outside of your home. Check with your contents insurance provider for more details. 

With our Bronze, Silver and Gold Cover, you can add our Personal Possessions add-on so that your jewellery is covered outside your home.

Our Specialist Contents Insurance covers jewellery and watches anywhere in the world. We even protect your items in another UK home or alternative accommodation for up to 5 years while your home is being rebuilt.


Discover more about personal possessions insurance

Accidental damage

Accidental damage insurance helps to cover the costs of repairing or replacing jewellery and watches damaged by an accident in the home. It comes as standard for John Lewis Specialist Home Insurance customers.

Bronze, Silver and Gold customers can add accidental damage cover to their policy.


Get the accidental damage add-on

How to insure your jewellery with John Lewis Finance

To insure your jewellery and watches with John Lewis we’ll ask for details about:

  •  You

  •  Your jewellery and watches – including their value

  •  When and where you purchased the item/s

  •  The level of cover you need


To insure jewellery valued at £10,000 or more on our Specialist cover we’ll need a professional valuation.

A valuation will also be helpful for watches and jewellery valued at £5,000 or more on our Bronze, Silver and Gold cover level. However, we are happy to accept an original purchase receipt if the item was bought within the last five years. 

Not yet covered by John Lewis?

Insure your home and valuables today by calling us on 0345 608 9011 or getting a quote online.

For a higher level of cover, we also offer Specialist Home Insurance for unique homes and high-value contents.


Guides and Articles

If something happens to your possessions, contents insurance can help soften the blow.

It's worth covering valuables that would leave you significantly out of pocket if they were lost or stolen.

Make sure your art and collectables are covered with John Lewis Home Insurance.

John Lewis Finance, John Lewis Home Insurance and John Lewis & Partners are all trading names of John Lewis plc. Registered office: 171 Victoria Street, London SW1E 5NN. Registered in England and Wales (Registered Company Number 233462). John Lewis plc is an appointed representative of Munich Re Digital Partners Limited, a company authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority to carry on insurance distribution activities.

John Lewis Finance, John Lewis Insurance and John Lewis & Partners are all trading names of John Lewis plc. Registered office: 171 Victoria Street, London SW1E 5NN. Registered in England and Wales (Registered Company Number 233462). John Lewis plc is an appointed representative (Financial Conduct Authority no. 416011) of Covea Insurance plc which is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (registration no. 202277). John Lewis Specialist Home Insurance is underwritten by Covea Insurance plc. Registered Office: Norman Place, Reading, Berkshire RG1 8DA. Registered in England and Wales (registration no. 613259).

Copyright © John Lewis Partnership
Back to top