Quotes, renewals & payments

The only way to get a quote or take out a new policy with us is online. Our online service is available 24/7, so you can quickly and conveniently get a quote at a time that works for you. 

If you have any queries or require assistance with the online process, we are here to help. Our dedicated customer service team can be reached by phone, live chat, or email.

If you're unable to use the online quote service due to disability then we're here to help. Simply dial 0345 608 9001 and we'll do our utmost to support your needs. Lines are open 9am - 7pm Monday to Friday, or 9am - 1pm Saturday.

The amount you pay for home insurance is calculated by looking at many different factors including your home’s location, size, construction type and security levels; the value of your contents; and your claims history.

Essentially, the higher the risk of loss or damage to your property, and the higher the value of the property and the contents, the more you’ll have to pay to insure them.

You should renew your home insurance on or before renewal date of your policy to avoid being potentially uninsured in the event of a claim. John Lewis Home Insurance policies will need to be renewed once a year for you to remain insured with us.

We will send out documents around 28 days in advance of your policy expiring.

If you’re opted into automatic renewals, you’ll just need to double-check that you’re happy with your renewal information and that we have the correct payment information. Then we’ll do the rest.

The quickest and easiest way to review your cover or make any changes to your details is to check online. For this you’ll need your policy number, postcode and the policyholder’s date of birth.

If you wish not to renew, call us on 0345 608 9001 before your renewal date. Please call between 9am and 7pm Monday-Friday, and 9am to 1pm Saturday.

If you’re looking to lower the cost of your home insurance policy, the first step could be to review the level of cover you have in place. You may find a lower level of cover meets your needs. See our different cover levels.

If your circumstances change, you can adjust your add-ons at any time during the term of your policy and there’ll be no admin fees or hidden charges. 

It’s important to ensure that your home insurance policy meets your needs and that any information you provide us is correct. If your details are incorrect, your policy may be invalid or it could be cancelled and you might not be entitled to a refund for the premium you paid. If your information isn’t accurate and you submit a claim, we may also reject payment or your payment could be reduced.

We’re happy to help if you want to speak to us about your options. Our contact details.


If you’re facing financial difficulties, support is available from the following organisations:

Step Change


0800 138 1111 (Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm and Saturday, 8am to 4pm)


Citizens Advice


0800 144 8848


Money Helper


0800 138 7777 (Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm)

What is covered?

Home insurance refers to either contents insurance or buildings insurance or a combination of both.

Buildings insurance covers the building, including any outbuildings such as sheds. Buildings insurance generally covers your home against risks including flood, fire and subsidence.

Contents insurance covers the possessions in your home. Contents insurance will cover you against your belongings being stolen and some policies may cover you if something in your home is damaged by accident.

Buildings and contents insurance can be sold separately, but if you need to make a claim, having buildings and contents insurance from the same insurer helps make the process easier.

Student Cover is included on our Specialist Home Insurance cover and can be added to all of our Bronze, Silver and Gold cover levels. It protects the contents, personal possessions and pedal cycles taken away from the home by a member of your family who is studying at university, college or school. Gadgets like laptops, mobile phones and headphones will need additional Gadget Cover.

Yes, 'valuables' are non-household goods, such as:

Yes. Our Buildings and Contents Insurance policies cover any storm or flood damage that affects your building or the contents of your home respectively (with the exception of fences). This is included as standard regardless of the level of cover you chose.

You won’t find the phrase ‘Acts of God’ in our policies but we do believe that our customers should be protected against natural disasters, so you can feel safe, whatever the weather.

Our standard Contents Insurance policy can cover damage to your mobile phone, if it happens while you’re at home. You can also be protected when you’re out and about if you choose our gadgets add-on. In the modern age we know the fear of being disconnected can be a nightmare, so let us take that worry off your hands.

Our standard Buildings Insurance covers the cost of water escaping from pipes.

If you choose our accidental damage for buildings add-on, all of your pipes are covered for accidental damage, whether overground or underground. This includes:

  • Drains
  • Pipes
  • Cables
  • Underground tanks

As long as they are used to provide services to or from your home, for which your family is legally responsible. For exclusions, see our key wording.

John Lewis Buildings Insurance can cover any damage done to your fence in case of:

  • Fire
  • Lightning
  • Vandalism
  • Accident

There are a few instances such as storms, frost or falling trees that would not be covered in your policy. You can find the full details about what is included in our policy wording.

Policy documents

Our policy documents are all available to download on our Home Insurance policy documents page.

If you are an existing customer, please refer to the policy documents sent to you for the insurer details applicable to your policy, or call us on 0345 608 9001.


If you need to make a claim on your Home Insurance, please call us or make a claim online.

If your home is seriously damaged – due to flood, for example – we'll find alternative accommodation, similar to your own, for you to live in until you can return home. Limits vary depending on your level of cover.

If it is safe to do so, you should take steps to limit the damage where possible – for example move furniture out of standing water or switch off your water supply to stop a leak.


If you would like to make a complaint please contact us.

Cancelling your policy

If you would like to cancel your policy please contact us.

John Lewis Finance and John Lewis Insurance are trading names of John Lewis plc. Registered office: 171 Victoria Street, London SW1E 5NN. Registered in England and Wales (Registered Company Number 233462).

John Lewis Finance, John Lewis Home Insurance and John Lewis & Partners are all trading names of John Lewis plc. Registered office: 171 Victoria Street, London SW1E 5NN. Registered in England and Wales (Registered Company Number 233462). John Lewis plc is an appointed representative of Munich Re Digital Partners Limited, a company authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority to carry on insurance distribution activities.

John Lewis Finance, John Lewis Insurance and John Lewis & Partners are all trading names of John Lewis plc. Registered office: 171 Victoria Street, London SW1E 5NN. Registered in England and Wales (Registered Company Number 233462). John Lewis plc is an appointed representative (Financial Conduct Authority no. 416011) of Covea Insurance plc which is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (registration no. 202277). John Lewis Specialist Home Insurance is underwritten by Covea Insurance plc. Registered Office: A&B Mills, Dean Clough, Halifax, HX3 5AX. Registered in England and Wales (registration no. 613259).

Copyright © John Lewis Partnership
Back to top