What is garden insurance?
Did you know that your home insurance often includes garden insurance? This means your garden items and outbuildings, including sheds, are protected against loss, damage and theft.
Garden insurance with John Lewis
John Lewis Home Insurance covers most things in your garden. Your garden furniture, gardening equipment and even your plants come under your Contents Cover. Things like sheds, gates and ponds come under your Buildings Cover. There are a few exceptions, some of which are listed below. For full details, please check our policy documents.
Contents cover from John Lewis Home Insurance covers almost everything that’s not permanently fixed in your garden, including:
- Trees and shrubs
- Plants and pots
- Lawns and hedges
- Gardening equipment like lawnmowers
- Garden furniture
- Play equipment (such as slides, paddling pools and sandpits)
- Temporary gazebos
- Water features
- Movable statues and ornaments, including gnomes and lights
Remember, the total we can pay out includes all the items in your home too. If you are not sure if the level of cover would be equal to the value of your home and garden contents, you might want to consider upgrading your policy.
Buildings cover from John Lewis Home Insurance covers permanent fixtures in your garden against loss or damage, including:
- Patios and paved terraces
- Fences and gates
- Fixed statues
- Summer houses and garden offices
- Permanently fixed pergolas and gazebos
- Garden ponds
- Tennis courts
- Swimming pools, hot tubs and jacuzzis permanently fixed into the ground belonging to your home
Are there exceptions to my garden insurance?
As with most garden insurance policies, there are a few exceptions.
- Plants, hedges, shrubs, lawns and fences are not covered against damage by storms or other natural causes such as floods or frost.
- Items stolen from locked sheds, garages or other outbuildings are covered up to £5,000 with a Bronze, Silver, or Gold policy. If you have anything of higher value, it’s best to keep it in the house or take out our Specialist cover which does not have this limit.
- We can’t cover your garden or home if you leave your property unoccupied for more than 60 days. You may want to consider a house sitter if you are planning a long trip.
- Subsidence damage to patios, terraces, gazebos and other permanent fixtures in the garden. These are not covered unless your home is also damaged by the same cause at the same time.
Keeping your garden maintained
It takes just a little bit of planning and effort to make sure your garden is ready for you to enjoy.
Keeping your garden and home secure
Even if you have garden insurance within your home insurance, it’s important to keep your home and garden secure and protected against theft.
Simple tips include:
Lock your garden shed and any storage units at all times as thieves might come into your garden while you’re indoors.
Bring any expensive items - such as your mobile phone - into your home whenever you leave the garden, even momentarily to answer the doorbell.
If you know there is a storm coming, put your garden items away or tether them down.
More tips on keeping your garden safe.
Read our 10 tips to protect your home while you’re on holiday.
How to insure your garden with John Lewis
Insure your home and garden today by calling us on 0345 608 9011 or get a quote online.
Your garden furniture, gardening equipment and plants come under your Contents cover. Fixtures like sheds, gates and ponds come under your Buildings cover.
We also offer Specialist Home Insurance for high-value contents and unique homes. This includes gardens as standard.
John Lewis Finance, John Lewis Home Insurance and John Lewis & Partners are all trading names of John Lewis plc. Registered office: 171 Victoria Street, London SW1E 5NN. Registered in England and Wales (Registered Company Number 233462). John Lewis plc is an appointed representative of Munich Re Digital Partners Limited, a company authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority to carry on insurance distribution activities.
John Lewis Finance, John Lewis Insurance and John Lewis & Partners are all trading names of John Lewis plc. Registered office: 171 Victoria Street, London SW1E 5NN. Registered in England and Wales (Registered Company Number 233462). John Lewis plc is an appointed representative (Financial Conduct Authority no. 416011) of Covea Insurance plc which is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (registration no. 202277). John Lewis Specialist Home Insurance is underwritten by Covea Insurance plc. Registered Office: A&B Mills, Dean Clough, Halifax, HX3 5AX. Registered in England and Wales (registration no. 613259).