Insure your second home with a name you trust

Regardless of who insures your main residence, John Lewis can provide bespoke home insurance for your second property. Choose our tried and trusted Specialist Home Insurance and you’ll benefit from a range of features including:


The same level of cover for both your homes

Up to £10,000 contents cover for damage to the personal belongings of friends or employees

24/7 home emergency cover when your main residence is also insured with us

Friendly support from our UK-based call centre

To speak with your expert underwriter or for any queries, call us on 0800 916 6880

What counts as a second home?

In Insurance terms, a ‘second home’ is a property you own that is not your main residence. This could be a holiday home, a home you let, or one you visit fairly frequently. It could even be your third, fourth or fifth home if you are fortunate enough to own these.

If you spend the majority of your time in your property, then this would be considered your main residence, and not your second home.

Generally, you can’t insure a second home on a standard home insurance policy. However, we can provide second home insurance for a property that’s:

Not your main residence

In the UK

Lived in or used by you fairly frequently

It’s important you tell us how you use your additional property. This will ensure any claims you make on your property are valid.

What's included in second home insurance?

Much like our Specialist Cover for your main residence, our insurance for your second home can cover buildings and contents.

You'll have direct access to a team of qualified underwriters for instant decisions on any property you insure with us.

You won’t always be staying at your second home. So you may be reassured to know your home and contents are covered against loss or damage caused by:

Fire, lightning or explosions

Theft or attempted theft

Impact by vehicles and aircraft

Riots or civil unrest

Malicious acts or vandalism

Emergency services

Falling trees, telegraph poles, lamp posts or pylons

We’ll also cover the cost of re-landscaping your garden or grass tennis court against these events.

Any contents in outbuildings are also covered. Outdoor items are covered up to £25,000.

If your main insurance is also covered with us, both homes will be covered against disputes about your home or personal possessions following:

Someone causing damage to them

Legal nuisance or unlawful interference with your land


For Escape of water or flood claims over £20,000, we’ll also pay for preventative measures up to £2,500.

We can even cover your second home if it is a listed property, or if it has seven or more bedrooms.

What's not included?

We can only provide Home Emergency cover assistance and Legal protection for your second home if your first home is also insured with us. However, we will cover defending a counter-claim regardless.

We do cover let properties. But these must be let to working professionals with a minimum 6 month tenancy agreement.

How long can your second home be unoccupied?

We don’t have a minimum number of days your second home needs to be occupied every year.

However if you leave it unoccupied for more than 60 consecutive days, you should let us know.

We won’t be able to insure your home if you leave it unfurnished for more than 30 days.

If you’re unsure about anything, simply call us on 0800 916 6880.

How much does it cost to insure your second home?

Rest assured, we take the same bespoke approach to underwriting second homes that we do for primary homes. So similarly, we'll offer you the best price we can. There are no additional fees as a result of the property being your second home, rather than your primary home.

Insuring your homes under the same policy is often more cost-effective than managing them under multiple policies. And you’ll be saving yourself a lot of time and effort too.

Are other people covered at your second home?

If people outside of your family are staying at your home, their contents won’t be covered by our insurance. Your building and contents would still be covered though.

Need to make a claim?

If you’re a John Lewis Specialist Home Insurance customer and you need to make a claim, just call us on 0800 916 6890 (Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm).


For emergency claims, call 0330 134 8166 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week).

Policy documents

Our partner

Covéa Insurance plc has been carefully selected to underwrite Specialist Home Insurance from John Lewis.

Home insurance guides

Owning a listed building is like owning a little piece of history but it can be costly.

Get peace of mind when it matters most with 24-hour emergency assistance

Whether you're heading out for the day or on holiday, it's sensible to secure your property

John Lewis Finance, John Lewis Home Insurance and John Lewis & Partners are all trading names of John Lewis plc. Registered office: 171 Victoria Street, London SW1E 5NN. Registered in England and Wales (Registered Company Number 233462). John Lewis plc is an appointed representative of Munich Re Digital Partners Limited, a company authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority to carry on insurance distribution activities.

John Lewis Finance, John Lewis Insurance and John Lewis & Partners are all trading names of John Lewis plc. Registered office: 171 Victoria Street, London SW1E 5NN. Registered in England and Wales (Registered Company Number 233462). John Lewis plc is an appointed representative (Financial Conduct Authority no. 416011) of Covea Insurance plc which is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (registration no. 202277). John Lewis Specialist Home Insurance is underwritten by Covea Insurance plc. Registered Office: A&B Mills, Dean Clough, Halifax, HX3 5AX. Registered in England and Wales (registration no. 613259).

Copyright © John Lewis Partnership
Back to top