Insuring a listed building

Owning a listed building is like owning a little piece of history. It’s both a privilege and a responsibility. Maintaining a listed building can be costly though, so it’s important to make sure you’re properly covered.

Protecting your most valuable asset

Unlike some other insurance providers, we’ll consider all levels and ages of graded building. And we also cover older construction methods, such as wattle and daub, timber frame and lathe and plaster. Our experienced underwriting and claims teams offer a bespoke and personal service tailored to your home.

We understand how important it is for you to have the right level of cover and protection so if you haven't had a full survey recently, we may decide to provide a valuation at your underwriter's discretion to ensure that you have the right cover. This will be a desktop valuation and an independent survey of your property conducted remotely using Ordnance Survey data and various other tools.

Call 0800 916 6880 to speak with your expert underwriter.

What is a listed building?

A listed building is judged to be of national importance due to its special architectural or historic interest. Even some significant modern buildings are listed. These properties are placed on a national list to give them extra legal protection.

Buildings are put into one of three listing categories according to their relative importance. These categories vary between England, Wales and Scotland. Grade II buildings are the most likely grade listing for a homeowner in England.

Category status in England and Wales

Grade Criteria Percentage of all listed buildings
Grade I Exceptional interest Only 2.5%
Grade II* More than special interest 5.8%
Grade II Special interest 91.7%

Category status in Scotland

Grade Criteria Percentage of all listed buildings
Category A National or international importance 7%
Category B Regional or more than local importance 50%
Category C Local importance 43%

Choosing the right insurance

Everyone has different requirements when it comes to covering their home and contents, which is why we offer other Home Insurance options for properties that are not listed.

Our partner

Covéa Insurance plc has been carefully selected to underwrite Specialist Insurance from John Lewis.

John Lewis Finance, John Lewis Insurance and John Lewis & Partners are all trading names of John Lewis plc. Registered office: 171 Victoria Street, London SW1E 5NN. Registered in England and Wales (Registered Company Number 233462). John Lewis plc is an appointed representative (Financial Conduct Authority no. 416011) of Covea Insurance plc which is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (registration no. 202277). John Lewis Specialist Home Insurance is underwritten by Covea Insurance plc. Registered Office: A&B Mills, Dean Clough, Halifax, HX3 5AX. Registered in England and Wales (registration no. 613259).

Copyright © John Lewis Partnership
Back to top