Rebecca Goodman
By Rebecca Goodman
Finance Journalist
Updated 25 June 2024
|Read time: 7 mins

Make moving home less stressful with our guide to what to book, how to pack, and who to tell, plus a free printable moving house checklist.

What you need to do before you move home

Before moving home there is a lot of admin and to-do lists to tick off, but once this is done it will make the experience a lot smoother and hopefully less stressful.


Book a moving date
One of the first things on your list will be confirming your moving date, which either the house seller or your conveyancer can give you if you’re buying. If you’re renting you should be given the date by your new landlord or estate agent.


Give notice to your landlord (if you rent)
As soon as you have your moving in date, give notice to your current landlord or estate agent if you are renting. It should also give you details of any requirements on moving out, such as getting the property cleaned and where to return your keys.


Hire a removal company
Unless you plan to move yourself, or you’ve got friends to help, you will need to book a removal company. Always compare costs of a few different companies to make sure you’re getting the best price and check exactly what’s included in the service.


Redirection service
You can pay for a redirection service which directs all mail sent to your previous address to your new home via Royal Mail. You’ll need to set this up at least five working days before you move.

Looking for Home Insurance to cover your new home?

Who to tell you’re moving home

There’s lots of things to do when moving house including changing your address everywhere it’s been saved. There will be a long list of companies and people to tell about your house move, including the following:


Utility companies
All of your utility companies will need to know the date you’re moving and, in some cases, if you would like the supply to continue in your new home. This includes: energy, water, broadband, TV, and your mobile phone contract. You may need to take a meter reading for your gas and electricity company - and it’s sensible to do this anyway on the day you move out to stop it charging you extra.


Financial institutions
If you have a financial account with any company, they will need to know your new address. This includes your: bank, building society, credit card provider, car finance company, personal loan provider, pension provider, investment funds and any store cards you have.


You’ll also need to let your insurers know including those which cover your: car, breakdown, home, contents, travel, health, pet, life, income protection or critical illness policies.


Government bodies
Updating your details with all the relevant government bodies is essential, along with registering on the electoral roll in your new address. Make sure you contact the following organisations with your new address: HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC), Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), TV licensing, your local authority where you pay council tax, and the electoral roll.


Your GP and other medical services
When you register at a new GP, you will usually need to give proof of your new address. You’ll also need to let other medical services, such as your dentist, physiotherapist or optician know about your house move.


Work and schools
You will need to let your employer know you’ve moved home and if you have children their schools will need to know. You will also need to tell: any professional or alumni networks you belong to and any type of childcare providers including after-school clubs.


Any company you subscribe to will need to know your new address. This includes memberships for: magazines, newspapers, gyms or exercise classes, TV and music streaming services, monthly meal boxes, supermarkets where you have deliveries from, and any other leisure clubs.


Friends and family members
Anyone who you’re in regular contact with will need your new address, even those people you only hear from at Christmas.

Don’t forget pets and children

Organising someone to look after your pets and children will make the process of moving home easier. You could book your pet into a kennel or cattery for the day, or they could stay with someone else. 


You may need to arrange for your children to be picked up by someone else from school or nursery, or for an overnight stay with a friend or family member too.

What to pack for moving day

You will need to pack up everything you own when moving home, or you could ask your removal company to do this although you will need to pay for the service. If you’re packing yourself, label every box and make a list of what’s in each box. You can do this by hand but it’s also useful to have a digital list, a free app such as Google Keep can help.


Other things to do when moving house include packing a box or bag of essential items which should have the following in it:


Important documents

Valuable or expensive items you don’t want to go in the delivery van


Bin bags


Cleaning products

Phone and laptop chargers

Kettle, mugs, and tea bags

Toilet roll and soap


What to do on moving day

There is a lot to think about when moving home and it can be overwhelming when you move and you’re surrounded by boxes. Follow this five-step guide to get you started:


You’ll have your essential box ready, so you can get the kettle on for a cup of tea and start to unpack the kitchen.

Check the keys work in doors and windows.

Make a list of all the utility companies in your new place and check everything is working properly. Contact the providers to give them your details, although remember you don't need to stay with them - you’re free to switch if you’ve found a better provider. For your energy provider, you’ll need to give a meter reading. 

Find out what day your bins are collected and locate the nearest dump or recycling centre.

Set up your bed for the night (and for anyone else in the house) and treat yourself to a local takeaway.

What happens after you’ve moved house?

After you’ve got the keys, apart from unpacking there are a few other key things to do when moving house you need to remember. 


If you need to pay stamp duty, which can be paid through your conveyancer, this must be done within 30 days. You should also have the locks changed if you own the property.

Printable moving home checklist

Keep a copy of our printable moving house checklist with you to tick off as you go.


Contact the following companies:

Energy and gas
Mobile phone
Monthly subscriptions
TV and music streaming
Supermarket deliveries
Building society
Credit card 
Car finance 
Personal Loan
Store card
Insurance providers: car, home, pet, travel, life, medical, income protection and breakdown
Government bodies: HMRC, DWP, local authority, Electoral Roll
Your GP
Nurseries or childminders
Subscriptions: TV and music streaming, food boxes, gym, cinema, supermarkets, loyalty cards
Friends and family members


Moving day date
Cleaning company (if your rental agreement asks for a professional clean)
Removals company
Extra childcare
Pet caring service
Redirection services


All your belongings
An emergency kit for moving day
Your valuables or expensive items

Not yet covered by John Lewis Home Insurance?

Home insurance is a sensible policy to have and protects your property and everything you own. Buildings insurance covers your property, and a mortgage provider may insist on it, while contents insurance covers your belongings in your home.


It’s important to tell your insurer about moving home, so your belongings are covered as soon as you move into your new place. 


With John Lewis Home Insurance, if you’ve selected our optional accidental damage add-on you’ll be insured against accidental loss or damage on moving day if you have hired a professional removal company. This is provided you move anywhere in the British Isles. Unless china, glass, pottery or other fragile items, have been packed for moving by professional packers they won’t be covered under your John Lewis Home Insurance policy, so you may choose to keep these with you on moving day.

You can insure your home and contents today by getting a quote online.

For a higher level of cover, we also offer Specialist Home Insurance for unique homes and high-value contents.

Articles and guides

Help soften the blow if something happens to your possessions.

Your home is precious, so it’s important to prepare for the unexpected.

Protect your home or contents against accidental damage.

John Lewis Finance, John Lewis Home Insurance and John Lewis & Partners are all trading names of John Lewis plc. Registered office: 1 Drummond Gate, Pimlico, London SW1V 2QQ. Registered in England and Wales (Registered Company Number 233462). John Lewis plc is an appointed representative of Munich Re Digital Partners Limited, a company authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority to carry on insurance distribution activities.

John Lewis Finance, John Lewis Insurance and John Lewis & Partners are all trading names of John Lewis plc. Registered office: 1 Drummond Gate, Pimlico, London SW1V 2QQ. Registered in England and Wales (Registered Company Number 233462). John Lewis plc is an appointed representative (Financial Conduct Authority no. 416011) of Covea Insurance plc which is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (registration no. 202277). John Lewis Specialist Home Insurance is underwritten by Covea Insurance plc. Registered Office: Norman Place, Reading, Berkshire RG1 8DA. Registered in England and Wales (registration no. 613259).

Copyright © John Lewis Partnership
Back to top