Using a car abroad is a great way of discovering a country, but it's essential to know the regulations and insurance implications before you go. Whether you’re taking your own car abroad or hiring one on holiday, it’s worth getting everything in order before you set off.

1. Know before you go

Using a car abroad is a great way of discovering a country, but it's essential to know the regulations and insurance implications before you go.

Whether you’re taking your own car abroad or hiring one on holiday, it’s worth getting everything in order before you set off. If you have any queries please call us.

For emergency services in mainland Europe, dial 112.

Note: you need to be aged at least 18 to drive in Europe and at least 21 years old if you want to hire a car.


The EU has confirmed that the UK will remain in the Green Card Free Circulation Zone. This means that from 2 August 2021 Green Cards are no longer required to drive in the EU and any countries that adhere to the EU directives on motor insurance.

Customers should continue to carry their Certificate of Motor Insurance, as this is evidence that their motor policy covers them to do so. It is fine to refer to a digital copy.

For your information, the countries included in the decision above, are:

Andorra,  Austria, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina,  Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Iceland,  Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein,  Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway , Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

It should be noted however, that the rules in relation to driving licences and International Driving Permits have changed.

For more information click here.

2. Car insurance

Take your Certificate of Insurance with you to prove you have car insurance and third party cover while driving abroad.

Currently, all car insurance providers are required to give you at least the minimum legally required cover in any EU country (third party liability cover in the UK) – but not all providers automatically extend this cover to include accidental damage to, loss or theft of your own vehicle.

In addition to the cover required above, John Lewis Car Insurance comes with 180 days full cover including accidental damage, theft or loss as standard. This does not apply to hire cars. You can also buy additional Breakdown Cover.

3. Travel insurance

Car insurance can cover personal injury, but it may not cover all medical costs after an accident. EU agreements mean you can access free or low cost medical treatment in Europe as long as you have a valid European or Global Health Insurance Card (EHIC or GHIC), but you won’t be covered for emergency repatriation in case of serious injury.

You should take out Travel Insurance to cover medical costs in case of a car accident.

4. Staying safe

To reduce risk of breakdown or mechanical trouble while abroad, take your car in for a service before you leave.

Do a quick safety check before you travel - ensure the spare tyre is in working order and you have the necessary jacks and equipment to change it.

Check the oil and water levels and carry spare windscreen wash and a spare tyre/tyre repair kit with you just in case.


Essentials to take with you:

Your insurer's claims telephone number and if you have European breakdown cover, their number as well.

Your car insurance certificate, policy and schedule.

Your vehicle registration document or certificate (V5 or V5C) or your vehicle on-hire certificate (VE 103). If you don't have one, you can get this through the DVLA, however it can take at least 14 days to get one.

Your passport and driving licence - make sure the details on it are up-to-date before you travel.

A spare set of keys.

Set of headlamp converters to adjust your lights for driving on the right.

Keep these things with you when you're driving, but remember not to leave them in your car.

It's also a good idea to have:

A spare tyre (where fitted) or a tyre repair kit.

A first-aid kit.

A warning triangle and high visibility jacket (one for each person in the vehicle).

A torch, tool-kit, spare bulb kit, fire extinguisher.

Spare windscreen wash and a large bottle of water.

Snow tyres or chains, antifreeze and window scrapers if you’re driving in cold weather.

In some countries such as France, it is compulsory to carry working self-test breathalyser kits and failure to do so can lead to on-the-spot fines.

In some European countries, such as Austria, it is compulsory for you to carry a high-vis jacket, warning triangle and first aid kit - not doing so results in on-the-spot fines.

5. Speed limits

Always drive under the speed limits on motorways and highways abroad. The limit on major roads in the UK is 70mph, but limits in other countries vary so always check before you travel.

6. Drink-driving limits

Alcohol limits for driving are lower in mainland Europe than in the UK. British law limits 80mg of alcohol in 100ml of blood (0.08%), but EU countries including Spain, France and Finland only allow 0.05% before you are breaking the law. In Sweden the alcohol limit is just 0.02%. Know your limit and don’t drink and drive.

7. International Driving Permit (IDP)

An IDP is a formal document that translates the details on your driving licence into several languages. This allows foreign authorities to check your identity and driving permissions with ease, for example, the type of vehicles you're allowed to drive and how long your licence is valid for. A current full UK driving licence is valid in the EU / EEA.

See the latest list of countries which require an IDP.

You can apply for an IDP at your local Post Office, the AA or the RAC. You need to be a UK resident, have passed your driving test and be over 18-years-old. A small fee is usually payable.

8. Adjust your headlamps for driving on the right

Most motoring accessory shops and motoring organisations sell headlamp beam converters.

Dip your headlights or use sidelights when driving through tunnels.
You must drive with dipped headlights on all roads at all times in Denmark, Norway and Sweden, and in Finland you have to use dipped headlights outside built-up areas.

9. Other driving regulations differences

Different countries have different regulations, but there are a few things that are always useful to remember:

On roundabouts, traffic already on the roundabout has priority.

Make sure you have small change in the correct currency with you to pay road tolls.

Always give priority to buses and military vehicles - you have to give way to trams in Belgium and the Netherlands.

Finally remember, driving is on the right in all European countries, except the UK, Irish Republic, Cyprus and Malta.


The legal driving age in most European countries is 18, with a valid driving licence. However, if you’re looking to hire a car while you’re away, most companies won’t let you hire a car unless you’re over 21.

Make sure you check the requirements of the country you’re visiting before you go.

Yes. Your UK driving licence will permit you to drive in the majority of EU countries as long as it’s in date and valid. A small number of EU countries and many countries outside of Europe require an International Driving Permit (IDP) along with your licence.

To see the full list of countries that require an IDP, visit the government website.

It’s recommended that you take your V5C (logbook) away with you if you’re driving your car abroad. It’s possible that when you cross into a different country, you may be asked to show it to border officials.

Yes. As long as you’ve passed your driving test, have a valid driving licence and are of legal age to drive in the country you’re visiting, you’ll be able to drive abroad.

You’re also required to be insured on the vehicle you’re driving and have an International Driving Permit (IDP) if the country requires it. 


There are different rules for each country when driving abroad, and it’s a good idea to check before you travel.

For example, some countries insist upon high visibility jackets being available in the car or fitting winter tyres during the winter season. You may be fined or prosecuted if you don’t obey local driving laws.

Not yet covered by
John Lewis Finance?

Call us on 0330 024 0614 for more information on our car insurance policies, or get an online quote.

John Lewis Finance, John Lewis Insurance and John Lewis & Partners are all trading names of John Lewis plc. Registered office: 171 Victoria Street, London SW1E 5NN. Registered in England and Wales (Registered Company Number 233462). John Lewis plc is an Appointed Representative (Financial Services Register Number 416011) of Covea Insurance plc which is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (Financial Services Register Number 202277). John Lewis Car Insurance is underwritten by Covea Insurance plc. Registered Office: A&B Mills, Dean Clough, Halifax, HX3 5AX. Registered in England and Wales No. 613259.

Copyright © John Lewis Partnership
Back to top