All drivers need insurance but
there are various options

What does Third Party Insurance cover?

This is the most basic cover you can get, and is the legal minimum of car insurance cover. In the event of an accident that was seen to be your fault, third party insurance covers other people, vehicles and property, but injuries you suffer and damage to your own car is not covered.

Third party insurance only covers you against having to pay if you injure someone or damage their vehicle or other property, but it won’t pay to repair damage to your car.

Third party, fire and theft cover

This will cover third party damage and also fire and theft, so you can claim for repair of replacement if your car is damaged or destroyed as a result of theft, attempted theft or fire.

Comprehensive cover

This is the most commonly purchased option - all John Lewis Car Insurance policies are comprehensive.

Comprehensive cover pays to repair damage to your car, including windscreens. This is in addition to all of the cover included in third party, fire and theft cover.

People sometimes incorrectly assume that comprehensive cover is the most expensive cover but this is not necessarily true – you may find that comprehensive cover works out as cheap as third party, fire and theft.

Remember that with comprehensive car insurance you are covered for everything included in third party, fire and theft cover, plus:

Damage to your own car

A pay-out for the market value of your old car

Windscreen cover

However, if your car is relatively cheap to repair, then a third party policy might be better for you. A newer car might cost hundreds or thousands of pounds to repair, in which case third party cover would leave you footing a hefty bill, and wipe out any savings you made by choosing third party cover.

What is the difference between motor legal cover and legal liability cover?

Unlike Motor Legal Protection, legal liability covers:

  • Your legal liability for the death or injury of another person

  • Damage to property caused by you driving your car

  • Other insured drivers using your car with your permission


John Lewis Car Insurance includes legal liability cover as standard.

Top FAQs

Third party insurance only covers you if:

    You injure someone

    You damage their vehicle or property

Third party, fire and theft covers you for the above and will also pay to repair or replace your own car if it is stolen, or damaged or destroyed by fire.

However, third party policies won't pay to repair any other type of damage to your car.

The most commonly purchased option is comprehensive cover. It covers all of the above, plus 

Personal belongings cover

Uninsured driver protection

Guaranteed repairs

Replacement locks


and more.

All new John Lewis Car Insurance policies provide comprehensive cover.

If you're involved in an accident, you're legally required to:

Give your name, address and insurance details to anyone who has a good reason to ask for them – namely the other driver.

Report the incident to the police within 24 hours if you or anyone else is injured.

Provide your Certificate of Motor Insurance within five days of the incident.

If possible, you should also collect the following information:

Full details of the other driver(s).

Registration numbers of all vehicles involved in the accident.

Where, when and how the accident happened.

Details of any injuries or damage caused

Names and contact details of any witnesses

Police officers’ details and any reference numbers you are given

Photographs of the scene or any damage, if possible

CCTV or dashcam footage

No. We do not currently offer multi-car insurance.

Not yet covered by
John Lewis Car Insurance?

Call us on 0330 024 0614 for more information on our car insurance policies, or get an online quote.

John Lewis Finance, John Lewis Insurance and John Lewis & Partners are trading names of John Lewis plc. John Lewis plc is an appointed representative (registration no. 416011) of Covea Insurance plc which is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (registration no. 202277). John Lewis Car Insurance is underwritten by Covea Insurance plc. Registered Office: Norman Place, Reading, Berkshire RG1 8DA. Registered in England and Wales (no. 613259).

Copyright © John Lewis Partnership
Back to top