Everything you need to know

Escape of water is one of the most common causes of damage to a property – and one of the most expensive to repair.

Water can escape for many reasons, from pipes bursting in cold temperatures to faulty appliances leaking after breaking down.

Changes in lifestyles, such as the rise in use of central heating, mean that damage from escape of water is now a greater risk for UK homes than burglary.

When you take into account the value of the average household and its contents, such as wooden floors, fitted kitchens, furniture, carpets and TVs, the damage even a single burst pipe can cause can be significantly costly.

As long as you take the right precautions, you can limit the risk of water damage, or even prevent an escape of water. We’ve put together this brief guide to help you understand the main causes, and have included tips on how to reduce the possibility of it happening in your own home, so that you can avoid the hassle of making a claim.

How escape of water is caused

Frozen pipes left unlagged in winter can burst when the water inside them starts to thaw, damaging the surrounding walls, floors and furniture. This is particularly common in unoccupied properties when the pipes are not regularly warmed through heating.

Poor construction also heightens the risk of escape of water. Plumbing methods, when applied incorrectly, can lead to faulty installation or joint failure. And, of course, simple human error – leaving valves open prior to changing the water supply system, for example – can cause a leak.

What's covered by escape of water cover?

The Bronze, Silver and Gold policies from John Lewis Home Insurance all cover damage caused by water escaping from (or freezing in) your:

Water pipes

Washing machines


Fridges or freezers

Fixed water systems and tanks

Fixed central heating systems

This will also include cover for the accidental loss of metered water in your home, subject to policy limits.

Bronze, Silver and Gold policies will cover the cost of removing and replacing any part of your property, if this is necessary to repair heating or water systems that have caused the escape of water.

Tips for preventing an escape of water

Leave the heating running in winter

When the temperature drops to freezing or below, leave your central heating running in all rooms at a constant temperature. If you’re going away and the temperature is likely to drop below freezing, set your central heating to a minimum of 10°C (50°F) for a few hours each day.

Check and bleed your radiators regularly

Bleeding radiators helps to prevent air bubbles forming, which can prevent heat circulation. This can lead to frozen pipes. Over time, trapped air and residue can also result in a leak.

Switch the heating on briefly in summer

You may want to run your central heating system occasionally, even during the warmer months. Simply turning on your heating for 15 minutes a month will help to keep water flowing smoothly.

Leave your loft hatch open

This allows warmer air to circulate. Good insulation can also reduce the risk of freezing. The National Insulation Association recommends it should be at least 27cm thick.

Check your washing machine every 6 months

Washing machine hoses can become brittle over time, which can lead to leaks. Spotting the source of a leak can prevent a build-up of unsightly mould.

Insulate exposed pipes

Some pipes are vulnerable to the cold if fixed to the inside of external walls or in unheated areas such as lofts. You can use foam sleeving to keep them from freezing, though in extremely cold conditions this may not be enough. As an extra preventative measure, you may want to fit additional trace heating under any lagging.

Find out where the stopcocks are

There’s usually one inside and one outside your home. In the event of a burst pipe, you should quickly turn off the water supply to reduce the damage caused. If you’re going away, you may also want to invest in an approved device to automatically cut off your water supply if a burst pipe is detected.

Have your boiler serviced annually

This will highlight any issues to help avoid a breakdown and potential loss of heating during frosty conditions. Just before autumn is usually the best time to check both your boiler and your policy.

Switch your water off if you’re going away

And if you’re going away for an extended period or staying in a second home, arrange for a trusted friend or neighbour to check your home periodically.

What happens in the event of a claim?

We have a specialist team that manage escape of water claims and coordinate the suppliers involved in a claim. We use experts to dry and restore both buildings and contents to minimise disruption to your life. This can save you from unnecessary hassle, like getting walls replastered, or sofas treated for mould spores.

As part of your Bronze, Silver or Gold policy, our team can get you into overnight accommodation if your home is made uninhabitable due to an approved claim for water damage.

If you'd like to make a claim or you have any questions about escape of water damage, you can call us on 0345 608 9005. We're open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Not yet covered by John Lewis?

Insure your home and valuables today by calling us on 0345 608 9011 or getting a quote online.

For a higher level of cover, we also offer Specialist Home Insurance for unique homes and high-value contents.

John Lewis Finance, John Lewis Home Insurance and John Lewis & Partners are all trading names of John Lewis plc. Registered office: 171 Victoria Street, London SW1E 5NN. Registered in England and Wales (Registered Company Number 233462). John Lewis plc is an appointed representative of Munich Re Digital Partners Limited, a company authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority to carry on insurance distribution activities.

Copyright © John Lewis Partnership
Back to top