Home Insurance from
John Lewis Finance

Cover the cost of repairing or rebuilding your home,
or replacing the contents in it if they’re damaged, lost or stolen.

Home insurance covers the cost of repairing or rebuilding your home, or replacing the contents in it if they're damaged, lost or stolen. You can insure your building or the contents of your home - or both.

Home insurance is a term used to refer to both contents insurance and buildings insurance. Here’s an explanation of the terminology:

Contents insurance: covers the possessions in your home

Buildings insurance: covers the building, including any outbuildings such as sheds

Buildings and contents insurance can be sold separately. However, if you need to make a claim, having buildings and contents insurance from the same insurer helps to make the process easier.

Although contents insurance isn’t usually legally required, many mortgage lenders will insist that you have buildings insurance.

Buildings insurance generally covers your home against risks including flood, fire and subsidence.

Contents insurance will cover you against your belongings being stolen and some policies may cover you if something in your home is damaged by accident.

However, the policies vary greatly in detail and before you buy you need to look very carefully at the things the policy won’t cover.

Home insurance policies differ in the levels of cover they offer. If you choose a "sum insured" policy - which provides a specified level of cover to replace your contents and rebuilding your home – you'll need to estimate the value of everything in your home as well as the cost of rebuilding it. However, a number of home insurance policies - including our Premier Cover – offer home insurance without this limit so you don't have to work out a particular amount.

Remember that buildings insurance needs to cover the cost of rebuilding your home - which is usually considerably less than its market value. The Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) has a useful guide with a rebuilding calculator.

If your home is unique - for example, if it has a large number of bedrooms or a thatched roof - a standard policy may not give you the amount of insurance you need. Our Specialist Home Insurance offers cover for non-standard buildings and construction types, including thatched or flat roofs, listed buildings and homes with more than six bedrooms.

Home insurance policies usually include cover for valuable items such as jewellery, watches, works of art and paintings. However, many policies require you to specify items over a certain amount.

With Home Insurance from John Lewis Finance, our Premier Cover provides up to £3,000 cover for single items, and up to £40,000 to cover all your valuables. Any valuable item worth over £3,000 needs to be individually specified.

Our Specialist Home Insurance offers unlimited cover for single items (depending on value, items may need to be specified), with no maximum limit for total valuables. We also offer Specialist Contents Insurance for fine art and antiques.

Cover for personal possessions anywhere in the world

Accidental damage to both buildings and contents

A 24-hour Home Emergency service that provides cover for labour and parts

Our Home Insurance policies can include these optional extras and more, as well as providing the service you’d expect from John Lewis.

John Lewis Finance and John Lewis Insurance is a trading name of John Lewis plc. Registered office: 171 Victoria Street, London SW1E 5NN. Registered in England (Registered Company Number 233462). Calls may be recorded and monitored.

John Lewis plc is an appointed representative (Financial Conduct Authority number 416011) of Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc. John Lewis Home Insurance is underwritten by Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc (No. 93792). Registered in England and Wales at St. Mark's Court, Chart Way, Horsham, West Sussex, RH12 1XL. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (Financial Services Register No. 202323).

John Lewis Insurance is a trading name of John Lewis plc. John Lewis plc is an appointed representative (Financial Services Register No. 416011) of Covea Insurance plc. John Lewis Specialist Home Insurance is underwritten by Covea Insurance plc. Registered in England and Wales No. 613259. Registered office Norman Place, Reading, RG1 8DA. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (Financial Services Register No. 202277).

Copyright © John Lewis Partnership
Back to top