Bethan Boyden
By Bethan Boyden
Finance Writer
Published 16 August 2023
|Read time: 4 mins

New build properties are growing in popularity, with 66,855 new homes being registered in the second quarter of 2022, which is a 45% increase of the number registered in Q2 2021. 

If you’re thinking about buying a new build property, it’s important to know what kind of insurance you’ll need to make sure your home is covered. There are some benefits that come with choosing a new build, but just because your home may have been built in the last ten years doesn’t guarantee that you’re entirely safe from structural issues. So it’s worth making sure you’re covered.

What is a new build property?

A new build property (also known as a new build house) is generally agreed to be a property that has been built, or significantly renovated within the last two years. The majority of new builds come with an NHBC Buildmark certificate as standard, so if you are considering buying a new build you should always enquire if the property has one.

What types of home insurance cover new build properties?

New build properties can be covered by different kinds of financial protection. If you are buying a new build it’s worth finding out how your home is covered and what you may still need to consider.

NHBC Buildmark - a ten-year warranty that only covers you for damage caused by poor building standards

Home Insurance - this can be broken down into:

Buildings Insurance - this type of insurance protects the structure of your property (walls, windows, roof)

Contents Insurance - this type of insurance protects the personal items you keep inside your home (furniture, gadgets, jewellery)

What is NHBC?

The NHBC (National House-Building Council) Buildmark certificate is a form of warranty that is given to new build properties that have been constructed by NHBC-approved companies.

Around 70-80% of new build properties come with an NHBC warranty, which lasts for 10 years. The guarantee exists to protect homeowners and ensure that properties are built to a good standard. If your home is covered by NHBC and you have a structural issue within the first ten years of the building’s completion that’s caused by poor building standards, you may be covered.

How can I get cheaper insurance for my new-build home?

There are a couple of ways to potentially lower the price of your new build-home insurance.

Look for NHBC - if you are still at the stage of choosing your new build home, look for those that come with an NHBC warranty. NHBC warranty protects you against builder error for the first two years after the property is legally completed, and continues to protect you for another eight-year period against certain structural defects. Choosing a property with NHBC warranty could save you money on potentially costly repairs.

Pay annually - some insurers offer a slightly reduced price on your premium if you are able to pay annually instead of monthly. You can check with your insurer whether they offer this when purchasing.

Protect your no claims discount - some providers offer a no claims discount, which means that you may be able to reduce the price of your premium if you have a history of no claims.

Consider combined - if you are interested in both buildings and contents insurance it can be cheaper to get a combined policy from the same provider.

John Lewis provides three different levels of standard Home Insurance (Bronze, Silver and Gold) and one level of Specialist Home Insurance. If you are looking for home insurance you can find out more about our policies here.

Does John Lewis Home Insurance cover new build homes?

John Lewis Home Insurance could cover your new build property. There are three different levels of standard Home Insurance (Bronze, Silver and Gold) and one level of Specialist Home Insurance.

If you are looking for home insurance you can find out more about our policies


The price of home insurance is calculated using a variety of factors, including the materials used to build your property and its security measures. This means that recently constructed properties can be cheaper to insure as they can be in better condition than older properties and they should meet all current building safety requirements.

Sustainable - new builds are often more energy-efficient than older properties due to double glazing and good insulation.

A blank canvas - being the first person to own a property gives you a unique opportunity to put your own stamp on your home. You won’t have to undo unsightly design choices made by previous owners and you can get straight into the decorating. 

No wear and tear - because new builds don’t have a long chain of previous owners you don’t have the risk of needing to pay for repair work that has built up through years of wear and tear.

New build houses can be better depending on your requirements. If you are looking for a modern property and brand-new fixtures and fittings are a priority for you, they can be the better choice.

Not yet covered by John Lewis?

Let us help you protect your new build home today.

Insure your home today by calling us on 0345 608 9011 or getting a quote online

For a higher level of cover, we also offer Specialist Home Insurance for unique homes and high-value contents

Garden furniture, equipment or tools are at a greater risk of loss or damage at certain times of the year.

Finding out your home has been burgled is a shock, especially if you've lost treasured possessions.

Here are a few quick, simple steps that will help to put your mind at ease, so that you can enjoy your time away from home.

John Lewis Finance, John Lewis Home Insurance and John Lewis & Partners are all trading names of John Lewis plc. Registered office: 171 Victoria Street, London SW1E 5NN. Registered in England and Wales (Registered Company Number 233462). John Lewis plc is an appointed representative of Munich Re Digital Partners Limited, a company authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority to carry on insurance distribution activities.

Copyright © John Lewis Partnership
Back to top