You won’t be left out
in the cold in an emergency

What is alternative accommodation?

If your home cannot be lived in as a result of damage to it that is covered by your Home Insurance, we'll provide cover so that you and your family can be temporarily rehoused in similar accommodation. We look at providing a home similar to yours: this could be a hotel if you only need a couple of nights or a rental property if the damage takes longer to repair. There’s also the option to stay with friends or family and we may provide you with an allowance for food.

Are my pets covered too?

Yes, we cover you, your family and your pets too.

What about the contents of my home?

If your possessions have to be put into storage, we’ll cover the cost. When we're advised that your contents are in storage, we'll confirm to you the cover available and any exclusions.

Do I need to be a homeowner?

No. You’re covered if you’re a tenant with Contents Insurance too, as long as you don’t have any other insurance that covers this.

How long am I covered for?

We'll provide temporary accommodation while your home's uninhabitable. There are policy limits depending on whether you have Essential, Plus or Premier cover, so check your individual policy.

How do I claim?

Cover levels

  Essential Plus Premier Specialist
Buildings £400,000 £1 million Unlimited Bespoke
Contents £50,000 £75,000 Unlimited Bespoke
Accidental damage Optional Standard Cover Full Cover Full Cover
Alternative accommodation* £60,000 £115,000 Unlimited Up to 5 years
Personal possessions Optional Optional £2,500
option to increase)
Contents sum insured
Matching sets cover None £10,000 Unlimited Unlimited for art/antiques jewellery and watches.
50% for all other contents
Pedal cycles cover Optional Optional £5,000 £5,000
Garden cover Optional Optional £5,000 £25,000
Legal cover Optional Optional £100,000 Optional
Valuables single article limit (unspecified items) £3,000 £3,000 £3,000 £10,000

*Only applicable if Buildings and Contents cover is selected.


Home insurance refers to either contents insurance or buildings insurance or a combination of both.

Buildings insurance covers the building, including any outbuildings such as sheds. Buildings insurance generally covers your home against risks including flood, fire and subsidence.

Contents insurance covers the possessions in your home. Contents insurance will cover you against your belongings being stolen and some policies may cover you if something in your home is damaged by accident.

Buildings and contents insurance can be sold separately, but if you need to make a claim, having buildings and contents insurance from the same insurer helps make the process easier.

The amount you pay for home insurance is calculated by looking at many different factors including your home’s location, size, construction type and security levels; the value of your contents; and your claims history.

Essentially, the higher the risk of loss or damage to your property, and the higher the value of the property and the contents, the more you’ll have to pay to insure them.

Yes, 'valuables' are non-household goods, such as:

Jewellery (including costume jewellery)

Other things made of gold, silver or precious metals

Cameras, camcorders or binoculars



Paintings and other works of art

Stamp, coin or medal collections

Each insurance product has a different valuables limit so you can choose the one to suit your needs.

If you have any valuables worth more than £3,000 each, you’ll need to specify them when you get a quote.

If you have any valuables that are worth more than £20,000 each, our Specialist Home Insurance may be more suitable for you. Get a quote or speak to an adviser on 0800 916 6880.

Terms, conditions, limitations, exclusions and eligibility acceptance criteria apply.

John Lewis Finance and John Lewis Insurance are trading names of John Lewis plc. Registered office: 171 Victoria Street, London SW1E 5NN. Registered in England and Wales (Registered Company Number 233462).

John Lewis plc is an appointed representative (Financial Conduct Authority no. 416011) of Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc. John Lewis Home Insurance is underwritten by Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc (No. 93792). Registered in England and Wales at St. Mark's Court, Chart Way, Horsham, West Sussex, RH12 1XL. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (Financial Services Register No. 202323).

John Lewis plc is an appointed representative (Financial Conduct Authority no. 416011) of Covea Insurance plc which is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (registration no. 202277). John Lewis Specialist Home Insurance is underwritten by Covea Insurance plc. Registered Office: Norman Place, Reading, Berkshire RG1 8DA. Registered in England and Wales (registration no. 613259).

Copyright © John Lewis Partnership
Back to top