If you’re looking to compare, switch or purchase home insurance, bear in mind:

Do you need both buildings and contents insurance?

Home insurance can offer varying levels of cover. Buildings insurance covers the building, including outbuildings such as sheds. Contents insurance covers the possessions in your home.

At John Lewis Finance you can choose from a wide range of flexible and unique home insurance policies, including separate or combined buildings and contents cover.

Look at details that show your insurer goes the extra mile

A good quality home insurance policy will offer you add-ons and even extras included as standard. All John Lewis Home Insurance policies include Identity Theft cover and our Bronze, Silver and Gold policies offer optional add-ons to help you choose the cover that's right for you.

Check the small print

Every provider and policy is different, so check what a policy does and doesn’t include before you buy. And make sure you shop around - it might be worth paying a little more for extra peace of mind.

Think about accidental damage cover

Accidental damage cover protects you in the event of a one-off mishap, such as wine being accidentally spilled on your carpet. Some policies offer this as an optional extra so check what's included in your policy.

With Bronze, Silver and Gold cover from John Lewis Home Insurance, there are optional Accidental camage add-ons for both buildings and contents. It is also included with Specialist Home Insurance.

What happens if your home’s damaged and you can’t live in it?

If your home becomes uninhabitable following loss or damage covered by the policy and you have to stay elsewhere while repairs are carried out, our alternative accommodation cover means we could pay for suitable alternative accommodation for you, your family and even your pets.

Will your insurer help you with a home emergency?

It’s reassuring to know that if something does go wrong you could get help day or night if you've taken out our home emergency cover.

Home emergency cover is often the kind of policy you have to take out separately, for example through your utilities supplier, but with our Bronze, Silver or Gold policy you can add on optional 24-Hour home emergency cover. If a pipe bursts in your house, making it unsafe or risking further damage to your home or contents, we can find a reliable tradesperson and pay towards parts and labour.

Make sure your belongings are safe outside the home

Many home insurance policies offer cover for this, but do check the limits as some can be quite low. Bronze, Silver and Gold Home Insurance policies from John Lewis offer optional cover for your personal possessions anywhere in the world. Our Specialist Home Insurance includes this as standard.

Switch wisely

If you’ve decided you want to switch, here are some tips on how to do it:

Some companies charge a fee to cancel mid-term, so check out your policy before you decide to switch. Our Bronze, Silver and Gold policies allow you to make changes to your policy without admin fees or hidden charges.

When looking at what’s around, bear in mind that many offers may only be applicable in the first year. If you're an existing Bronze, Silver or Gold customer with John Lewis Home Insurance, you won't pay more than a new customer for the same cover.

Price comparison websites might be worth a look, but remember it’s not always the cheapest deal that’s the most comprehensive and reliable when you come to claim.

It is quick and easy to switch to John Lewis Home Insurance. Why not get a quote now? Just answer a short series of questions, and we’ll guide you through the process.

If you already have our Home Insurance and pay annually, you can renew online, if your details haven't changed. Customers paying via Direct Debit will automatically be renewed.

If you need to update or cancel your Essential, Plus or Premier policy, call us on 0330 102 2742.

Not yet covered by John Lewis?

Get a quote online to insure your home today.

You can also call us for a quote on 0345 608 9001.

For Specialist Home Insurance call 0800 916 6880 to speak to an expert underwriter.

John Lewis Finance, John Lewis Home Insurance and John Lewis & Partners are all trading names of John Lewis plc. Registered office: 171 Victoria Street, London SW1E 5NN. Registered in England and Wales (Registered Company Number 233462). John Lewis plc is an appointed representative of Munich Re Digital Partners Limited, a company authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority to carry on insurance distribution activities.

John Lewis Finance, John Lewis Insurance and John Lewis & Partners are all trading names of John Lewis plc. Registered office: 171 Victoria Street, London SW1E 5NN. Registered in England and Wales (Registered Company Number 233462). John Lewis plc is an appointed representative (Financial Conduct Authority no. 416011) of Covea Insurance plc which is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (registration no. 202277). John Lewis Specialist Home Insurance is underwritten by Covea Insurance plc. Registered Office: A&B Mills, Dean Clough, Halifax, HX3 5AX. Registered in England and Wales (registration no. 613259).

Copyright © John Lewis Partnership
Back to top