Tips for travelling with
your Partnership Card

Once you’ve packed your wallet, your passport and your Partnership Card – which is accepted worldwide – have a read through our practical pointers to ensure you’re ready to relax and enjoy your holiday. 

Before you leave

You don’t need to tell us you’re travelling, as our systems constantly monitor and protect your account when you’re abroad.

If we identify any unusual account activity while you’re away, we may call or text you. Therefore it's important we've got your current mobile phone number before you travel.

To update your mobile number call us on 0345 300 3833.

Bring multiple ways to pay

It’s best to take a number of payment methods with you to cover all eventualities; foreign currency, travellers’ cheques, debit card, credit card, travel money card. Also, keep your emergency contact numbers separate from your credit cards and passport details. If you are taking your Partnership Card with you, it may be worth finding the local contact number for Mastercard, via Mastercard Global Services.

Pay with your Partnership Card to get your travel money transaction fee-free online or in store from Bureaux de change by John Lewis. You’ll also earn 5 points for every £4 you spend.

Use your card
for added protection

For major holiday purchases, such as hotels and flights, you should consider using a card as they give added protections. When using a credit card (as opposed to a debit card or charge card), Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act also means that credit card transactions can give additional protection from supplier failure/bankruptcy or breach of contract, providing the spend on a single item is between £100 and £30,000.

Choose your currency carefully

When using your Partnership Card abroad you may be asked in shops (or at an ATM) whether you want to pay in the local currency or UK pounds. If you pay in UK pounds then the retailer sets their own exchange rate, which is usually not the best rate as it includes additional commission. Local currency transactions will always go through at the global rate set by Mastercard. 

Access emergency cash

In an emergency, you can use your Partnership Card to get cash from more than a million ATMs in over 210 countries worldwide. But, given the cash advance fees you’ll incur, a debit or travel money card will be better value. To find your nearest ATM, try the global Mastercard ATM locator.

International Payments at John Lewis Finance is provided by HiFX Europe Limited. HiFX is authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority under the Payment Services Regulations 2009, registration 462444, for the provision of payment services. HiFX is also a registered MSB with HM Revenue & Customs. Registration number 12131222. HiFX is a limited company registered in England and Wales. Registered number: 3517451. Registered office: Maxis 1, Western Road, Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 1RT.

This online service for the provision of foreign currency and/or travellers’ cheques is provided by First Rate Exchange Services for John Lewis customers. First Rate Exchange Services Limited is a company registered in England and Wales under company registration number 04287490 (Money Service Business licence number 12133160), whose registered office is Great West House, Great West Road, Brentford, West London, TW8 9DF, England.

Copyright © John Lewis Partnership
Back to top