5 things you never knew you needed insurance for

From an engagement ring to your identity, it’s wise not to assume that you’re already covered for the things you treasure the most.

No two home insurance policies are the same, so it’s important not to get caught out. Many people find out the hard way that the cover they thought they had was inadequate.

Here are five things you might want to make sure you have cover for:

1. Digital downloads

Think about how much data you’ve got stored on your computers, tablets and smartphones. While the devices themselves may be covered against theft or damage on your home insurance policy, what about all the downloaded music and films that are on them?

It’s always sensible to back up your files, but John Lewis Home Insurance could pay the cost of replacing non-recoverable music, film or electronic data downloads worth up to £5,000.

2. Identity theft

Identity fraud is a major issue in the UK, and many people are leaving themselves at risk by revealing too much information online.

If you're ever a victim of this crime, identity theft insurance can go some way to helping you get back on your feet. We’ll cover the cost of reinstating your identity, including legal fees, phone calls and loss of earnings for time taken off.

3. Bicycles

If you have expensive bikes that you use to commute to work or enjoy family rides in the countryside, it’s a good idea to protect them financially.

Not all home contents policies insure bicycles against theft as standard, and some will only insure them while they’re at your property.

John Lewis Premier Cover includes protection for pedal cycles up to £5,000, whether you’re at home or anywhere in Europe. Any pedal cycle over £1,000 will need to be specified on the policy.

4. Boiler breakdown

Trying to find a plumber to come out to fix your boiler if you’re without heating and hot water can be a nightmare – especially in the depths of winter when you don’t want to be sat there shivering.

Having home emergency cover can help you fix plumbing issues with as little stress and disruption as possible. Look for an insurer offering a 24-hour helpline, and one who covers the cost of callout charges and a temporary repair to rectify the emergency problem.

5. Engagement ring

In the excitement of planning a wedding, the thought of insurance may be far from your mind. But you can’t assume rings will be fully protected by your home contents insurance.

With our wedding insurance, we could cover your wedding rings for theft, loss or damage, from £2,000 up to £15,000 depending on the level of cover you choose.

You could also cover rings as part of your home contents policy. These usually have a limit on the level of cover for valuable single items such as jewellery. Most insurers will only protect single items up to a maximum value of £2,000, but with John Lewis, the limit is set at £3,000.

Not Yet Covered by John Lewis Finance?

Insure your home today by calling us on 0330 102 2488 or get a quote online.


John Lewis Finance and John Lewis Insurance are trading names of John Lewis plc. Registered office address is: 171, Victoria Street, London, SW1E 5NN. Registered in England and Wales No. 233462.

John Lewis plc is an appointed representative (Financial Conduct Authority number 416011) of Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc. John Lewis Home Insurance is underwritten by Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc (No. 93792). Registered in England and Wales at St. Mark's Court, Chart Way, Horsham, West Sussex, RH12 1XL. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (Financial Services Register No. 202323). Calls may be recorded and monitored.

John Lewis plc is an appointed representative of Covea Insurance plc. Its Financial Services Register No. is 416011. John Lewis Specialist Home Insurance is underwritten by Covea Insurance plc. The Covea Insurance Registered office address is: Norman Place, Reading, Berkshire, RG1 8DA. Registered in England and Wales No 613259. It is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Its Financial Services Register No. is 202277.

Copyright © John Lewis Partnership
Back to top