If you’re looking to compare, switch or purchase home insurance, bear in mind:

Do you need both buildings and contents insurance?

Home insurance can offer varying levels of cover. Buildings insurance covers the building, including outbuildings such as sheds. Contents insurance covers the possessions in your home.

At John Lewis Finance you can choose from a wide range of tried and tested home insurance, including separate or combined buildings and contents cover.

Look at details that show your insurer goes the extra mile

A good quality home insurance policy will give you extras as standard. Many policies will cover you for a damaged sofa, but Home Insurance from John Lewis Finance also offers Matching Sets Cover as part of our Plus and Premier Cover. If, for example, your sofa is damaged and we can’t repair or find a matching replacement we’ll replace the whole set. Policy limits apply.


Check the small print

Every provider and policy is different, so check what a policy does and doesn’t include before you buy. And make sure you shop around - it might be worth paying a little more for extra peace of mind.

Think about accidental damage cover

Accidental Damage Cover protects you in the event of a one-off mishap, such as wine being accidentally spilled on your carpet. Some policies offer this as an optional extra so check what's included in your policy. (Full Accidental Damage Cover is included in our Premier cover and Specialist cover).

What happens if your home’s damaged and you can’t live in it?

If your home becomes uninhabitable following loss or damage covered by the policy and you have to stay elsewhere while repairs are carried out, our Alternative Accommodation Cover means we could pay for suitable alternative accommodation for you, your family and even your pets.


Will your insurer help you with a home emergency?

It’s reassuring to know that if something does go wrong you could get help day or night if you've taken out our Home Emergency Cover. Home Emergency Cover is often the kind of policy you have to take out separately, for example through your utilities supplier, but our Home Insurance can offer a 24 Hour Home Emergency Service. If a pipe bursts in your house, making it unsafe or risking further damage to your home or contents, we could find a reliable tradesperson and pay up to £1,500 (depending on cover level) towards parts and labour.

Make sure your belongings are safe outside the home

Many home insurance policies offer cover for this, but do check the limits as some can be quite low. Home Insurance from John Lewis Finance can provide Worldwide Personal Possessions Cover of up to £25,000 (unspecified) with our Premier Cover. Single item limits apply.

Switch wisely

If you’ve decided you want to switch, here are some tips on how to do it:

Some companies charge a fee to cancel mid-term, so check out your policy before you decide to switch.

When looking at what’s around, bear in mind that many offers may only be applicable in the first year.

Price comparison websites might be worth a look, but remember it’s not always the cheapest deal that’s the most comprehensive and reliable when you come to claim.

It is quick and easy to switch to Home Insurance by John Lewis Finance. Why not get a quote now? Just answer a short series of questions, and we’ll guide you through the process.

If you already have our Home Insurance and pay annually, you can renew online, if your details haven't changed. Customers paying via Direct Debit will automatically be renewed.

If you need to update or cancel your policy, call us on 0330 102 2742

For new customers purchasing online. Minimum premiums apply. We reserve the right to withdraw this offer at any time. Discount is automatically applied when you get a quote. 20% discount for Premier, Plus and Essential cover and 15% for Specialist. Discount does not apply to any optional features you select when purchasing Specialist Insurance.

John Lewis plc is an appointed representative (Financial Conduct Authority no. 416011) of Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc. John Lewis Home Insurance is underwritten by Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc (No. 93792). Registered in England and Wales at St. Mark's Court, Chart Way, Horsham, West Sussex, RH12 1XL. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (Financial Services Register No. 202323).

John Lewis plc is an appointed representative (Financial Conduct Authority no. 416011) of Covea Insurance plc which is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (registration no. 202277). John Lewis Specialist Home Insurance is underwritten by Covea Insurance plc. Registered Office: Norman Place, Reading, Berkshire RG1 8DA. Registered in England and Wales (registration no. 613259).

Copyright © John Lewis Partnership
Back to top