We're with you
all the way
Get peace of mind with comprehensive Car Insurance from John Lewis - rated 5-star by defaqto. It’s quick and simple to arrange cover.
If you ever need to make a claim, our UK call centre is available 24 hours a day.
Your safe driving is rewarded with a No Claims Bonus up to 9 years.
What's covered by Car Insurance from John Lewis
Our comprehensive Car Insurance covers damage to your car, other people and their vehicles. It will also protect you if your car is stolen or damaged by fire. You can even claim for accidents that are deemed to be your fault.
What's included in your John Lewis Car Insurance
- Personal injury cover up to £10,000 if you or your husband, wife or civil partner are seriously injured in an accident
- Up to £500 towards travel or a hotel so you can complete your journey after you're involved in an accident
- Legal liability cover if you injure a person or damage property
- New car replacement if yours is less than 12 months old and is written off or stolen and not recovered
- Uninsured driver protection - your no claims discount won’t be affected and you won’t have to pay your excess
- 180 days European cover each year
- Guaranteed repairs by our approved repairer network
- Courtesy car as standard while yours is being repaired by an approved repairer
You’re also covered for windscreen repairs and if you accidentally put the wrong fuel in your vehicle.
Terms and conditions apply.
Protected no claims is available as an add-on. We don’t include it as standard.
What isn't covered by Car Insurance from John Lewis?
You’re not covered for loss of, or damage to, your car caused by:
Wear and tear
Punctures, cuts or bursts to tyres
Any mechanical, electrical, or computer software breaking or failing to work properly
Frost (unless you’ve followed the manufacturer’s instructions to avoid liquid freezing)
See our policy documents for more details:
Choose from a range of optional extras to make you sure you have the protection you want.
How to make a claim
It’s quick and easy to make a claim. Call our friendly UK-based team 24 hours a day on 03300 240 613.
When you call, we’ll ask for some information about your claim. The more details you can give us at this stage, the quicker your claims process will be.
If your vehicle is not driveable, we’ll:
- Refund the cost of overnight accommodation or travel expenses - including taxi fares, for you and your passengers up to £500
- Arrange a replacement car for up to 30 days if your car is deemed a total loss or is stolen and not recovered
Before you call
Before you call us, please have the following information ready:
- Breakdown Cover policy (PDF)
- Roadside Breakdown - insurance product information document (PDF)
- Roadside Breakdown and Recovery - insurance product information document (PDF)
- Roadside Breakdown, Recovery and Home Repair - insurance product information document (PDF)
- Roadside Breakdown, Recovery, Home Repair and European Rescue - insurance product information document (PDF)
Third party insurance only covers you if:
You injure someone
You damage their vehicle or property
Third party, fire and theft covers you for the above and will also pay to repair or replace your own car if it is stolen, or damaged or destroyed by fire.
However, third party policies won't pay to repair any other type of damage to your car.
The most commonly purchased option is comprehensive cover. It covers all of the above, plus
Personal belongings cover
Uninsured driver protection
All new John Lewis Car Insurance policies provide comprehensive cover.
If you're involved in an accident, you're legally required to:
Give your name, address and insurance details to anyone who has a good reason to ask for them – namely the other driver.
Report the incident to the police within 24 hours if you or anyone else is injured.
Provide your Certificate of Motor Insurance within five days of the incident.
If possible, you should also collect the following information:
Full details of the other driver(s).
Registration numbers of all vehicles involved in the accident.
Where, when and how the accident happened.
Details of any injuries or damage caused
Names and contact details of any witnesses
Police officers’ details and any reference numbers you are given
Photographs of the scene or any damage, if possible
CCTV or dashcam footage
No. We do not currently offer multi-car insurance.
Car insurance guides
John Lewis Finance, John Lewis Insurance and John Lewis & Partners are trading names of John Lewis plc. John Lewis plc is an appointed representative (registration no. 416011) of Covea Insurance plc which is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (registration no. 202277). John Lewis Car Insurance is underwritten by Covea Insurance plc. Registered Office: Norman Place, Reading, Berkshire RG1 8DA. Registered in England and Wales (no. 613259).